1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Life?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, Nov 1, 2000.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have gator blades (bought at the same time) and today they seemed harder to sharpen. Could the lack of sharpness be due to the end of the blades expected life or could it be the grinder needing a new wheel? Both the grinder and the blades were bought this year.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You probably don't need a new wheel, it's probably just glazed. Mine do that all the time. Get yourself a grinder stone. These do wonders for the productivity of the grinding wheels. It's basically a square block that looks like grindingwheel material, but is more coarse. This helps rough the wheel back up a bit, and take the glaze off. I think you can find these at Home Depot.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

As Runner said, you need to dress the wheel every now and then. You can also get a diamond dresser. I got one for my RBG grinder, which cleans up the wheel and makes sure it is square and flat across it also. I used to work in a grinding department in a big factory, so I learned all about keeping the wheels in good shape to keep close tolerants on the parts we ground. This was a long time ago that I did this, this should give you an idea, one part I ground was a rocker arm shaft for a Rambler. :)
  4. LoneStarLawn

Hey Eric what kind of RBG grinder do you have? Standard, Commercial, Pro? How much did you get your's for?
  5. Eric ELM

I have this one listed on this page https://www.amleo.com/help-desk/item.php?bg218 and it is the Pro model. I paid $403 for mine but I see they are up to $412.30 now, but that included shipping also. It is or at least used to be free with any order over $400.00. I think the actual model number is 2181P and it has the ceramic wheel which lasts a long time. The diamond dresser was around $70 and the grit box was around $40 for it.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Eric, Does most of the grit go in the box? Is there much air-born material?
  7. Eric ELM

Most of it goes in the box. There is some that escapes, but most of it goes in. It does seem expensive and would be easy to make one, especially after you buy one and have a pattern. :)
  8. LoneStarLawn

Yeah was looking to purchase another one at A.M. Leonard
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

On a lot of small tools that I buy I call the manufacturer. They seem to sell to me cheaper than I can get mail order or at a local dealer, plus they get the markup that the dealer or mail order house gets. More money for them to better their products in the future, and same or less money for me to pay. Usually they will include shipping and sales tax is avoided if they are out of state. I did this with my grinder: Brandelien's Fireball Jr, and my Magna-Matic balancer. Also did it with Trimmer Trap too years ago.