Blade Life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 30, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

On average, how long does your set of blades have a life for?

Have you noticed which lasts longer, gators or high lifts?

I know that there are a lot of variable, but just humor me and tell me what YOUR blades last for.

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

By high lifts, if you're meaning straight cutting edge high lifts, these seem to last the longest. There's more metal there to begin with, also the easiest to sharpen.
    Generally seem to be made out of a harder steel, hold cutting edge a little better/longer.

Gators wear quicker, but win the competition by a nose usually as far as cut quality.

Whichever blade, can usually get a full season of use out of them, sometimes not quite so with gators.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

high lifts, high lifts, high lifts!

I have used gators for sale.

your blades should last long enough so that when they are worn out, you don't even worry about it.

GEO

4. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

what size gators

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

they fit a 48 lesco. 16.5 in. I believe.

GEO

6. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

i have found that my gators last longer and hold a sharper edge than the high lifts that came on my mower. I also run double gators and that seems to work very well.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have two sets of gators that out lasted 2 sets of medium lifts over a period of three years. The gators are a harder steel. So they hold an edge longer. I was using the gators during spring and the fall for leaves. The medium during the summer when the grass slowed down. Now I run double gators all the time. Why didn't I do that before.