blade lifespan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by strickdad, Sep 5, 2002.

1. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

any body keeping up with how long a set of blades is lasting them? how many hours? how many times you sharpen them before they are trashed? i have 250 hours on a set and they are almost ready for the scrap bin. i dont have any idea how many times they have been sharpend.

2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

for me blade life is measured in how soon after I put them on the machine does one of the employees hit something and bend it. I go thru 60-70 blades per year. About 1/2 have the air dam worn off and have to be thrown away, the other 1/2 are bent so badly I can't straighen them with a 20 ton press. Yes, we mow some real rough stuff but my guys can bend a blade in a clean yard it seems. I doubt if we get 150 hours to a blade before the air dam if worn off. Haven't had to throw one away because it was sharpened to often since I started to hire employees.

3. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Wear the air dam off? I cant say as I have ever done that. Maybe I do and just don't see it. How do you wear the air dam off your blades?

I sharpen my blades many times until the sharpener wont keep the same straight angle. It seams like about 10-20 sharpenings.:confused:

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Steve122. I use mine until the "air dam" wears off, around 150 hours.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

During the heavy growing season I get about a month or so before I trash a set of blades. I just keep an eye on the thickness of the blade. When I feel it not safe anymore, it's gone.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

theres many variables that affect
    bld life. sand one be one . i would think this would differ from lco to lco. jmho

7. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

To the fireman-
    We wear the air dam off with volume. I tried to figure out how many acres of grass we cut per week and came up with around 300. This could be as much as 25 acres off. Nothing scientific about my calculations. We bid large housing projects and cemeteries. One of our largest customers is a local municipality who has us cut there sewer treatment plant weekly, about 20 acres of grass. We also cut 30 mt lots per week scattered about the same city. Try mulching or picking up leaves in the fall. Nothing will scour an air dam off faster than dry leaves. Its kinda hard not to see when the air dam (the raised wing on end of blade) is worn out, it either breaks off or you cut your finger on it when you try to sharpen a blade. When it breaks off the whole deck shakes from being off balance.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This will be a hard question to get the answer you want. The time to wear a blade out will vary greatly from region to region.

I to have never had the "air dam" wear out. I either end up sharpening them until it is no longer safe to do so or bend them. Either way once the blade is unsafe in the trash it goes.