Blade lock? Any such thing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duker99, Apr 30, 2004.

1. duker99

duker99 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Greetings all,

I bought my first Toro Z Master (62") and in changing the blades, I am amazed that there is no way to "lock" (hold) the blade while attempting to remove the bolt.

What do all of you use for this? A wooden 2x4 (rather clumsy!!) or ???

Also, do any of you spend much time cleaning the underside of the deck? daily? weekly? never?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

engage the belt, that helps out a lot of times
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I clean out my decks after each days use if the grass has been wet or if I cut any fescue or rye. But on warm days cutting bermuda or st augustine i can normally go a whole week before needing to clean them out. But sometimes I have to clean them out multiple times a day (if I'm mowing in some rain).
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I just hold the blade with one hand and use the wrench in the other.
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest buying a small air compressor and some air tools. You'll never be disappointed unless you decide you want a bigger compressor. I can easily take off over tightened bolts, and can change blades in a fraction of the time.
  6. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I use an impact wrench most of the time so it is real easy to hold. If the impact wrench isn't available then I use a block of wood to lock the blade. Works real good.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I can have all the blades off by the time you get the aircompressor running. And the air tools wont do you much good out on the job.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know what you are going through duker99. I used to be in the same situation trying to get blades off. Finally I stepped out and bought an electric impact wrench. Best investment you will ever make whether it be air or electric.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, electric impact wrench. If you have many problems out on the jobsite, guess you could carry it in the truck with an extension cord. Personally, if I hit something or get halfway through the day and kick myself cause my blades ARE too dull I can't stand it anymore, I just run home, put the floor jack underneath the mower and zip zip zip, the blades are off.

Sometimes though, the bolt will be too tight, even for the impact wrench. You'll have to get a breaker bar out and pop it off then, but not that often.
  10. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Get a real good pair of vice grips. Clamp them on real tight to the blade tip and let the blade turn until the vice grips come in contact with the edge of the deck. But be careful, if the vice grips aren't tight enough, when the blade slips it can get messy!