Blade lubricant?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Tharrell, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I saw a comment in another thread about motor oil on hedge trimmer blades and the damage done to shrubs. What's the best way to lube the blades and not do any damage?

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I always use wd40... Havent seen any damage done

3. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Fluid Film. No solvents, no damage.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl makes a good lubricant

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have used wd40 and Pam cooking spray.....

6. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I use a spray lithium. It is heavier and stays on the trimmer longer. I have never had it hurt the shrubs.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I posted that comment about the motor oil. Here are more details about the original incident.
    This hack I worked for many years ago had an old gas powered hedge trimmer. He left it out in the rain and then just stuck it on a shelf for a year or so. The bar was solid rust. He managed to get it started, but the blades were rusted together. He took them apart, brushed the chunks off, then just dumped oil all over them, put them back together, dumped on more oil, then, with blades literally dripping oil, went to town on these shrubs. He told the customer it was insects that ate them after the shrub mostly died.
    I like any of the products the other guys listed. Lithium or WD-40 are probably my first choices. Just gotta go light with it. And don't let them get all rusty. I know this because I learned from the best.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've never used a lubricant on a hedge trimmer blade in over 25 years of using them.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just got a free sample can of "Fluid Film". It seems to work real well.:)