Blade Manufacturing Process

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Jul 19, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just ordered me a new Magna-Matic 9000, today. It should help in keeping costs down over the long haul.

But one thing I've often thought of was how sharpening blades with a high speed grinder causes the blade to lose it's "temper". You know how the temperature of heating up the blade causes the steel to not be able to hold a sharp edge as well as when it was manufactured? My question is how are new blades made? Is there a slow grinding process? Are the blades formed with a sharp edge? Is there a special cutting process we can't duplicate? I'm just curious as to how they're done.:)

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you are taking the heat treat out of the blade by turning it blue...yes you are doing a bad thing...you need to go lighter on the grinder and you wont have a problem.

3. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

In manufacturing the blade edge is milled not ground.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a MagnaMatic and find that you really have to "try hard" to turn a blade blue. I think it's because the stone that comes with the MagnaMatic is on the soft side. You'll see what I mean when yours arrives.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: OK, I give up. What do you mean, milled? Formed that way from the beginning?

Yes, I think it will be well worth the money.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The blade edge is cut, not ground milling is cutting metal with a bit, CNC type stuff.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Milled is a cut instead of a grind...a metal bit is used to remove metal all at once instead of removing a little at a time with a stone. Milling is usually a cooler cut (temperature wise) and is more precise.

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I watched the whole 9:42.

Definately cool.

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna say nobody makes blades on that complex of a machine though.