blade mistake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Sep 7, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

as ive posted ive been coldfiring my blades. had one that needed straitening but figured id do it when i got it back. bad idea.
    so far a 3 lbsledge,front of my truck and vise still cant bud it.
    dont know what the moral of this story is but i hate to heat it
    as that reverses the process.

2. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Any bent blade should be thrown away.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

ya I'd have to say ....it's done

4. sparechange

sparechange LawnSite Member

awm, i don't think i would want to use a blade i had tried to straighten, but as i understand the cold treating process, it is permanent unless you take the steel back to a molten state. i could be wrong on this, but i believe i read that somewhere.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would of gotten new blades for the coldfire. I wouldn't straighten them. Remember the BIG thread on that last winter?

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say its "well done". (pun intended)

I noticed at NAPA yesterday they have blades for most all mowers. I saw all the commercial mower blades listed in the parts book. Just thought people might like to know this.

7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

sorry guys i'am lost . what do you mean by coldfiring?

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

awm--seriously, what do you expect from a blade?

if you conk it on something why wouldn't you expect it to be toast?

many years ago, about 1978, I had a lawnmower with no governor and I was reclaiming grass from the woods.

I called this thing "THE PUSH HOG"! when I'd bend the blade or bust the half moon key on the crankshaft, I'd fix it. a propane torch, a big ball peen hammer and a rock did nicely with a new key.

I see no point for any professional orgnization to do this. buy a new blade.

GEO

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

coldfiring? does this kick up the rockwell hardness of the steel in a blade to hold the edge longer? can I do this in my oven/ freezer? I am half serious. Dave g

10. Done that. Been there. Watched part of the blade fly down the street. BAD idea!

LGF:blob1: