Blade, mulch kit recomendation for Fastrak?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tonym, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tonym

tonym LawnSite Member
    from PA

I will be purchasing a 18hp 52" Fastrak soon. I really want the clippings to be as invisible as possible. What blades , mulch kit is recomended? Or is no mulch kit needed ? I think my dealer said to try Gator blades with side discharge. Would this work well, and how would this work The Quickchute?
    I think I would like a Quickchute to be able to control the spray of clippings when needed. Should mulching baffels be in the deck for when the quickchute would be in the closed position?
    Thank you
    Tony

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As i posted in your other thread, Gators and wet grass will tend to clump slightly, so if your going to side discharge and use a Qwikchute, I would stay with the stock blades.
    If your going to go to a mulch kit, then I would go Gator's and just try and mow when it is dry, or just not take as much grass off when wet.

Pj

3. tonym

tonym LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks again. I will 99% be cutting dry grass, as its only my own lawn, I can wait for the dew to dry and no rain, so wet grass is not much of a problem.
    I just really need to decide if I want to have the mulch kit installed or use the quickchute. Can the Hustler mulch kit be installed with out the plate that blocks the chute, then use the quickchute in the closed position to mulch, would that be the same thing or does the Hustler plate that closes the chute do a better job of controlling the clippings then the quickchutes closed plate would do? If I could use the mulching kit with gator blades and the quickchute together then I would have both, full mulch or side discharge if I should decide I want by opening the chute.
    Does this work?

4. tonym

tonym LawnSite Member
    from PA

If I get the mulching kit should I get an anti-blowout baffle right away, it seems I read alot about it here, and everyone says it helps.
    Thanks.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are no blow out baffles for the FasTraks.

Pj

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It wont work.
    The mulch kit has 2 baffles and the closure plate, so if you used the Qwikchute and the mulch kit, you would still be mulching with the center and left blade even if you open the chute on the right blade.
    You would need to remove the 2 inner baffles to completely not be mulching.
    I would run the Qwikchute and the stock blades before you install the mulch kit.

Pj

7. tonym

tonym LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for the advice.

8. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

Tony M,
    I have the 20/52 Fastrack, and I have had fantastic results with the mulch kit. I bought the gator blades, but the dealer left on the stock blades and told me to try them first. They work great for mulching. I switched over to the gators to see the results, and in my opinion they do NOT do as good of a job as the stock blades. The gator blades also don't seem to produce as much "lift" as the stock blades - by that I mean that they don't seem to pull the grass up straight before cutting it.

I think you will be much happier using the mulch kit than the side discharge, just don't let the grass get too tall.