1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade options and mower setup for Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jul 20, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Ok I got a 44" Toro Z with 19hp. I got the mulch kit too. Works fine most of time but sucks in tall St. Augustine grass this time a year with clumping and mower bogs alot. Kinda pisses me off.

I was thinking about trying mulch blades and side discharge with an ocdc, I know the cut should be nice, but not a lot of people in my area sd, I'm just holding back on experimenting, cuz I have very little knowledge with mower setup.

Plus I don't have a lot of cash to use.

Any other Florida guys have insight on this setup let me know, especially if you mow St. Augustine and have smaller lots. I just want to get the most outta my mower.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of my friends had 44" Toros and for some reason none of them liked the way they mulched in Floratam. They're solution was to get 48 or 52's. From what you've said a new mower is out of the question, so if I were you I'd:
    a. try discharging
    b. try double blades

Once you get some cash get yourself a Hustler Super Z and your troubles will be over.
  3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Just side discharge , because trying to mulch Flortam in the summer just makes a big mess. I have been able to mulch some of my Flortam lawns because of theis dry weather, otherwise forget about it.
  4. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler super Z 03 model and I have the back-vac and have used bagging side discharging and mulching. I am currently mulching all of my accounts. I don't have a problem mulching, no mess no bad cleanups. The only thing is you have to cut the grass at the right height. If you are trying to mulch you can't cut too short. Best rule of thumb is to cut only a third at a time. Ex 6" tall grass cut at 4" for first cut and then lower if you need to cut it lower.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

are you using a wavy mulch blade?
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have the same mower 44 z and i switched to gator blades and it helps. it still dosnt eliminate all the clumps and strips of clippings but cuts down on them a lot. usually a quick second pass over the clumps and they are gone. its a improvment over the stock blades for shure and the mower dosnt bog down nearly as bad. no way i would ever think of side discharging-alot mor e cleanup time. i wish this mower mulched as good as my 32 toro wb . my dealer insisted stock blades worked best-he is wrong! try gators . the quality of the cut is about the same too but worth switching to . a lot less to clean up with the blower
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not the easiest question to answer. First, we have two mowers that are set-up differently, but we feel are the best set-ups for each individulal mower. Now if were talking bahia, our 06 scag 48" high velocity with dbls is what goes on that yrd. My 05 scag z-cat doesnt even come close to the cut as the high velocity deck. The 97 scag WB found a new home.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I use wavy blades with mulch kit on the gravely 44z and it does just fine in thick st augustine. Might need to double cut if it is out of control but other than that the wavy blades do well.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i finally got to try my new z master with gators on bahia. it made short work of it . this lawn used to kick my butt when i used the 32 toro but the zmaster w/gators just ate it up . didnt even have to double cut
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I just switched blades last month and got way better results.

I have a low sail and a long blade area, so its almost a sd blade I'm told.

doesn't mulch as much so it can handle thick grass better.

Only main drawback, I'm getting stringers a lot in shade areas and crappy grass. So is my buddy with the same mower and same blades.

I think the SFS deck just sucks at mulching.