Blade options for Deere MOD deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeereHauler, May 4, 2007.

1. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

this year i purchased a Mulch On Demand deck. i have been happy with the cut (especially when bagging) but not so pleased with the grass discharge. it tends to only go a foot or 2, and lay kinda clumpy. in my expierence a different high lift, high discharge blade will change that. i'm wondering how it will affect the deck by switching blades, after all it is a mulching mower.

once i get through this fast growth period i'm in, i can change back to mulching blades, but right now i need to make things look better. anyone have the deck, and tried different blades?

2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I remember somebody testing the 757 Z-Trak for I think it was PRO magazine, but not for sure. Anywho they did some switching of the blades and it did make a difference during the duration of the testing. However thats why I did not buy the MOD deck myself because of the chute opening size. I love to throw cliipings 10 ft. out with no clumping. I dont think that you will get those kind of results with that deck. But I have never ran one so I shouldnt even make a comment like that........just my thinking out loud. So you might want to do a little back issues checking with the magazines.

3. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I've been mowing in the rain here in KC for two days and no clumping yet from my 7 irons

4. deereman

from USA

Loys we do run the 7-Iron decks and we dont see clumping with them at all. Like I said I have never ran the MOD deck , not sure which one you have but I just didnt like the MOD decks chute opening. After running the straight deck design I thought that with that size of opening you would see some clumping but maybe not.

5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I demo'd a 757 60" MOD last year and was not pleased with the clippings dispersal and the clumping. I chose to stay away from the MOD's because of that.:usflag:

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

That was me. It is the October 2006 issue of Turf. The high lift blades will make a noticable differance in your discharge velocity.

7. deereman

from USA

Thanks ProCut for chiming in on this. I think that you did give rather high marks on the Deere didnt you?

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I did, as it was a good machine. However, as I said in the article, it does not discharge with the velocity of many other machines. So in heavy spring growth, (right now) it will struggles some. However, with the high lift blades, and under less demanding conditions, it will do fine. Overall the MOD is clever idea, and is very useful in some situation, but isn't really for everyone.

9. deereman

from USA

Yep I do remember you stating that in the article now. I myself would love that MOD deck...however I dont think that it would work in a lot of our lawns that we have. Meaning about the clumping and lack of discharging capabilitys.

10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades. They will help.