Blade Options for Super Z 60-- New Deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JLH, Aug 23, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I have a Super Z 60/28 EFI with new style deck. The part number for the fusion blade is 795252.

Questions:
    - What type of blade was used before the new deck was introduced?

- Why was the new flat blade required to be used with new deck cut out?

- Is the new fusion blade (795252) considered a high, medium, or low lift blade?

- Is the lift on a blade measured or determined by the height of the sail?

- What other type of blades can I use on the Super Z 60?

- Does Hustler have a gator blade available for my unit?

- Does a gator or mulching blade require more or less power from the mower?

Please answer all questions. I am trying to learn.

Thanks

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You can use any blade that is 21 inches long with a 5/8 center hole, scag and bobcat mower blades will work to name a few. Hustler does make a gator blade for your deck but they tend to clump the grass more then the other blades mentioned. The new flat blades aren't mandatory on the new decks they just works the best with the new decks in my opinion. If you are looking for a blade that has more lift and that throws it further then the flat blades from hustler you can go with the offset high lift blades from bobcat or you can run doubles of the flat blades from hustler. Put 2 of the flat blades on each spindle in a x formation for the best results. I will try to answer all of your questions for you. The blades they used before the flat blades was a high lift offset blade just like the one from bobcat. The new fusion blades are medium lift in my opinion. The lift is measured by the height of the sail. The blades that you can use are made by Bobcat,Bunton,Encore,Excel Hustler,Ferris,Great Dane,Husqvarna,Kees,Lastec,Lesco,Scag,Wright. Hustler does have a gator blade. My opinion on the power is that the gators will draw a little more power from the engine due to the grass staying under the deck longer compared to a regular blade.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

- What type of blade was used before the new deck was introduced?

A offset blade was used.

- Why was the new flat blade required to be used with new deck cut
    out?

It isn’t required.
    The new blade in combination with the wider opening improves cutting.

- Is the new fusion blade (795252) considered a high, medium, or low lift blade?

High lift

- Is the lift on a blade measured or determined by the height of the sail?

Yes

- What other type of blades can I use on the Super Z 60?
    Hustler Z/Super Z 60 side discharge 795252 (unit ships with this blade, it is a Fusion blade)
    Hustler Z/Super Z 60 mulching 793380
    Hustler Z/Super Z 60 Gator 794859

- Does Hustler have a gator blade available for my unit?

See above

- Does a gator or mulching blade require more or less power from the mower?

Slightly more.

4. Nelson Lawns

Nelson Lawns LawnSite Member

Does this information apply to 52" decks also (size of blade diff.), super z, super mini z?

5. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

P&J Lawncare,

Thanks for your reply.

6. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

mowerconsultant,

Thank you very much for your reply.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have been experminting this season with blades also. As P&J said, any 21" flat blade with a 5/8" hole will work in a 60" Hustler deck. There is a differance between blades from different manufacturs. You need to try different brands to see what will work best in your mowing conditions. The Fussion blade from Oregon Corp. has a "bent" sail that is 1.100" tall and distributes the clippings more evenly throughout the discharge opening, but not as far. I prefer a "stamped" sail because it discharages toward the front of the deck opening and has more "air" volum. I tried a Scag blade that had a .900" lift that worked good. I tried a Bobcat blade that had a 1.100" of lift that was OK but didn't have a good volum of air flow because the lift was short in length. Oregon makes a "high" lift for Ferris that is 3" wide and has a stamped sail that is 1.450" high. This blade draws as much power as running doubles. I have a 25 HP Kowie and I think it is maxed out with this blade. It will discharge 3 cuts over. If I had a 27 or 28 HP unit this blade would be my every day blade.

Gene