Blade or bucket for grading

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treadlite, Feb 8, 2006.

1. treadlite

treadlite LawnSite Member

I'm currently building a 4-way dozer blade for my rc-30 (adaptable for a snow blade in winter) and am curious as to your opinions as to what is the better implement for grading, the blade or a bucket (and why). How would the two of these attachments compare to a landscape plane for the same job?? I have the tools and ability to build most attachments easily for a fraction of the cost of manufactured products, just need to know what is the best way to go. I just recently purchased the RC-30 and am busy fitting it out for the summer season. Most of my experience has been with the mini-x and bought the ASV to diverisfy my operation. Thanks

2. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I like the 4in1 combo for grading, as opening and using the front (forward or backward) gives you longer 'Wheelbase', less bounce or 'wave', can dig backing up, and smooth forward (with clam open) can break up clods by running edges at slightly different heights

also for 'metered' grading, can open ~ 3" (then tilt bucket to determine aggressive vs. skim) and strip sod, or take a couple inches off, and it rolls into bucket like a big scraper.

I am mounting a Rezloh edge on front to avail excavation + grading from same 4in1

the 6 way seems to 'gouge' pretty ez on a Skid

You can get pretty creative with a bucket

I got my 4in1 off ebay, and was very lucky, (bobcat dealer) and specific that it not be 'warped' / bent (ez to do, then they 'leak')

they are very handy as a '3rd' hand too (see 4in1 post in this section)

I am leary of Quick_attach 4in1, tho it specs out very heavy duty(1"x6" cutting edges, and big cyl)... it has gaps under it (above -skid wear plates) that can trap materials (= very unhappy customers / rocks in sand (or contaminating mulch or soil) or visa-versa This could be blocked off with welded plate, but tough to do "after its been built" They said they wouldn't fix, even as a special order...:waving:

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I can do many things with just a bucket. The short wheel base of a skid steer would make grading difficult with a blade. However I guess if you put enough time into learning it perhaps it would work ok. The limited hp and size of a RC30 would make it even more difficult I would think. There are probably uses for just a dozer blade, I just have not found an application where a bucket isn't faster and more versatile.

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

why spend all day pushing stuff around when you can just scoop it up and place it exactly were you needed it

5. treadlite

Thanks guys... the reason I asked was I have run scrapers and dozers in the past, and based on that when cleaning up after a job, we always used dozers to final grade in smaller areas, never the track loaders..... i wondered if the same theory applied to skidsteers..... I seldom see blades on skid steers, I figured it was just the cost of another attachment when they come with buckets anyway. Moving dirt is what the buckt is for, but wouldn't the blade be more accurate for finer work???

thanks

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am no dozer operator, but for me I can get very accurate with just a bucket. As said before, the performance you may be used to with a dozer wont be the same in an RC30. The other side is it would not take much to put one together and try it. I do use an angle blade for snow removal. In that case I do find that a blade is better than a bucket as I can just windrow it out of the way.

7. treadlite

I was building the push frame for the snow blade and thought that I'd build a dozer blade for it as well. I realize that the RC-30 won't perform like the D-8, but being a tracked unit it should push better than a wheeled unit of similar size.
    I did several trenching jobs last year where the homeowner needed the yard graded and smoothed before the loam and sod were brought in. The RC-30 will be perfect for this as access between houses is getting tighter and tighter. My thinking in using a small dozer blade is that I can use it to backfill my trenches quicker and then go on to grading the yard. Would a landscape plane be better for this??

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you do a lot of trenching across established landscape then I can see where an angle blade would make that easier. The issues I can see is that the blade will skip or dig in depending on how smooth the yard was to begin with due to the short wheelbase of the tracked machine.. When I backfill across established yards, I usually skim across the grass going forward to fill the trench and then back drag to leave a nice finish. The movements are kept forward and back to prevent tearing the sod. You can always give it a try and see how it works. I

9. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

i made a mount for my 270 for a leon 770 9 ft dozer blade it works great

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer a 6-1 blade and if you use a bucket, get the tilt attachment to run off your auxilary.