1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blade overlap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olddog, Sep 6, 2001.

1. olddog

olddog LawnSite Member

When I mow tall grass my mower tends to leave high areas where the blades meet, sort of an upside down flattened W. Does blade overlap amount have anything to do with this? Is there any rule of thumb for this that manufactors follow, or is it a design varible? I like Ferris's radius blade ends, probably a minor detail, but still a neat idea.
  2. It's called "windrow" What's going on is the mower has to much grass to cut at one time and the blades are blowing the grass down. To correct the problem you will either have to slow down, which might not help. OR cut the lawn a second time which will make it look better anyways, and is what you are probably going to have to do either way. there is not much you can do about it, but try higher lift blades but I dont see it helping much.

BTW you did not say what brand mower you were using, but you did say Ferris blades. As with Ferris what I did was to lower the blades more and raise the deck to help correct the problem some.

3. olddog

olddog LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I have a Bunton 48". Once I figured out that blade length is measured diagonally edge-tip to edge-tip and that this is the cutting width I realized that as blades wear and are sharpened, the cut width and the overlap decrease - up to 1/2" if the blade tip is worn to the centerline. I just thought it was extraordinary that Ferris took the trouble to address this minor problem. Hats off.
  4. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i had that problem two years ago and foung out that it was caused by the front part of the deck was pushed back from hitting a hidden stump. if yours is push back. knock it back out, and it will help.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

try a set of mulchers