1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade pattern when putting blades back on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lzrj, Sep 23, 2007.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Just took my blades off this weekend and sharpened them for the first time. When I was putting them back on, I was wondering if there was a exact pattern on how the blades should go on.

Is there a right way to put them on or any way that will help with air flow and grass dispersal under the deck?

When I put them on, I put the left and right blades facing towards the front and rear of the mower. I put the middle blade on facing the sides of the mower making what you might say a T pattern between each blade. I did think thinking each blade, as they go around, will be equal distance from each other giving better air flow.

I tighten them very well and they should not move unless I hit something hard (I look after I mowed and they were still in same place). I finally have my land rid of rocks so I should hit nothing now other than grass blades.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think there is a certain pattern or way they can go back on. Worry more about balance.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

depends on the manufacturer. My Ferris' it doesn't matter, the Walker MTGHS go perpendicular to each other.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not unless your mower runs a chain-drive interference system, or some who have a larger center blade than outers...

I used to worry about it, but nowadays just about all the blades can get all mixed up, it's just so much another way to keeping them about even in terms of wear and tear... Of course it might also be one day I suddenly have 30 totally worn blades need replacing, I used to keep them sorted by wear but it just got to be too tedious :laugh:

But I do put the nicked one in the center, if there is one, the center blade seems to catch it the least so damaged blades in center always, just my thing.
  5. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites does the same as myself keeping the knicked blade in the center.
  6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

If all the blades on your mower are the same size, rotate your blades for even wear. I have 3 blades on my mower, so the one closest the discharge chute moves to the opposite end, and the other 2 slide towards the discharge chute. The theory that I have devised behind blade rotation is that all grass clippings move through the blade nearest the discharge chute, thus wearing on that blade the most. After several sharpenings, one may find(as I did) that the blades sharpen unevenly in regards to how much metal per blade is left intact if you don't rotate them regularly.
  7. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

good point:rolleyes:
  8. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

I just randomly put them back on, don't care which spindle they were on last. As often as they get sharpened, they will average out to spending an equal amount of time on each spindle.

I think he was talking about which way each blade points in relation to each other. I think that after you've engaged and disengaged the blades a few times, they will have changed orientation. Unless, you have a chain or cogged belt driving them.
  9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Just put them right side up :dizzy:
    ericg likes this.