blade pitch and castor adjustment?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gogetter, Jun 7, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hi. With the recent talk about proper blade pitch on a mower, I got to wondering how this works on a walk behind that uses the front castors as a way to adjust height of cut?

This would throw the whole pitch out the window, yes?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Gogetter,

You’re absolutely right when deck height adjustments are not done properly. However these issues are not as noticeable with a walk behind on some lawns due to the relatively slow ground speed when compared to a rider.

The fixed deck can cut as well as a floating deck on flat ground. The only time you get into any real issues if when you’re making large changes in cutting heights. If you’re only making changes of less than 3/4" your generally going to be just fine but not always. When making changes greater than that you need to begin considering changing the axle height adjustments as well as blade spacer adjustments and caster height adjustments. Most of us try to get by with just the front caster adjustment.

If you doing all of these then there shouldn't be any problem. Even though the height adjustments can take longer to perform there are some advantages.

If you’re trying to play around with deck rake as an example what better way than using the front casters. Try changing the deck rake on a floating deck for experimentation purposes and you'll find it's not always that easy. At least on the floating deck wb you can play with the deck pin washers. Not so with the Lazers.

Fixed deck vs floating deck. Each has advantages and disadvantages over the other. Neither is better and neither is worse it just comes down to application and which one you like better. Myself, I like the floating decks but the fixed decks cut fine.

Thanks

Terry

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Exmark reps,
    I have a new Exmark 32" Metro, 12.5 Kawi, Gear Driven.

It came "factory stock" with the following setting:

Axle alignment in the "D" Hole, two 1/2" spacers below casters, 0 3/16" spacers below casters and the blade had 2 above spindle, 2 below spindle. I believe this was somewhere AROUND a 2-3/4" cut height. according to my calculations based on the Exmark Cutting Height Adjustment chart. I see that just because you add or take away a .5" spacer, you don't necessarily raise or drop the deck a whole .5", it's more like .4... for whatever reason. <G>

I put on an Exmark Mulching kit and made the following changes:

Axle alignment left in the "D" Hole, put three 1/2" casters below, one 3/16" caster below and the blade now has 3 below, 1 above.

My intention was to RAISE the cutting height of the grass to 3". According to the chart, that is where I am now at. (add a .5 and a 3/16's to the deck height, but drop the blade .5 lower, so a total change of around 3/16"s from where it was stock, cutting higher.

With my settings of "D", 3 spacers, 1 3/16 spacer, 3 spacers below spindle, how is my rake?

Do almost all of the Exmark Metros stay in the axle height of "D", or do many people change that around?

Thanks

4. eXmark

Doogiegh,

Due to the slight variance in tires, manufacturing etc. you best bet to determine what your rake is would be to place your machine on a solid flat surface, point the blades straight forward and measure from the tip to the ground. Before you begin, check your tire pressures and give the machine a good visual inspection for anything out of the ordinary.

If you have any questions while doing this drop me a line at 800-667-5296 and we'll walk you through it.

Thanks

Terry

5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, trying to visualize the described procedure from the computer chair, not in the machine area....

How do you measure the blade height, with the mower on a solid, concrete floor? Isn't the clearance between the bottom lip of the deck and the floor itself rather tiny, so to measure the floor to blade tip clearance would involve some real creative "twister-game" like contortions of the body to get low enough to measure such a small distance.

Not to mention the fact that I assume there is not much light under the deck of the mower, so to read each blade tip to some degree of accuracy to determine the overall rake is not real easy?

I gotta try this in the shop tommorow, I'm just thinking it's not a real easy measurement to get...

Of course I can't possibly think of or recommend any other way to get the measurement either at this time either unless one had a specially built lawn mower lift platform designed just for such purposes. <G>

Gary

6. eXmark

Gary,

It's not that bad if you have the right tools. You may be able to buy one of these radically simple and realatively inexpensive handy dandy deck height measuring devices and your local dealer. All you need is the right tool. Also a slide rule type ruler can come in useful as well. Besides any reason to buy a new tool is a good reason.

p6130778.jpg

7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get it....how does that thing work?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've had one of these for at least 12 years now. Got my first one (exactly the same as above) at my JD dealership for like $5!

Just picked up a better version two years ago at my Exmark dealer. It's virtually the same, except that the measuring arm is a little longer (7.5" from pivot to tip). Gets under better from any deck position. Plus it reads from 1.5" all the way up to 5".

Was thinking of posting about this tool in the forum, but my digital camera is broke and I have SO many things I want to take pics of!!!

9. eXmark

Vibe,

All you do is drop the end with the round knob all the way to the floor and slide it under the deck making sure it's below a blade tip. The indicator part stays on the outside where your can read it. Then all you've got to do is push down on the indicator arm, which raises the knob up till it contacts the blade and Shazam you know what height your cutting at. It's a very handy tool and although not necessary you can never have enough tools.

Try it you'll ask yourself how you ever got buy without one.

Thanks

Terry

10. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Are these tools available on the net, I can not seem to locate one?