blade pitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenery, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

how much blade pitch is to much? any oppinions

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Anything over 1/4 of an inch.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard that 1/4" number a whole lot but I really think it depends on the deck. I have a lot of pitch (1/2"+) on my Dixie and I don't have any problems with strips of uncut grass or any of those other problems that some Dixie owners seem to have. Zero complaints from customers.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I run 3/8" on my 7 iron decks.

5. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on your height of cut. As you pitch the deck forward the center of the blade path will be lower than the sides and therefore will cut lower. The lower the height of cut, the more this variation in height will be noticeable. So at low heights of cut, 1/4 inch maximum pitch will give you an 1/8 inch variation in cut which will not be noticeable, but if you go more, it will be. At higher heights of cut you can increase the pitch considerably with out this variation be noticeable. Why more pitch? Generally the more you pitch the deck, the less power is consumed.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just depends on the deck you have and your average cutting height.

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

call me an idiot, but my guess is u guys usually have the front higher than the back? is that typical? thats what i have on my turbo force and it works ok ... just making sure im not doing the opposite of everyone else since pitch isnt something i have paid much notice to.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, you're an idiot.:laugh: The front is always lower than the back.

9. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

You want the deck pitched forward (front lower than the back). The purpose of this pitch is to keep the blades from cutting the blades of grass more than once. If the deck front is higher than the back, the blade will cut the grass at the higher front height and then re-cut that same grass again at the lower rear height. This multiple cutting is inefficient and wastes power. That's the whole idea of pitching the deck--prevent double cutting. Now if you are mulching and are trying to chop up the grass anyway, it doesn't matter quite as much.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Richard,
    How ca you possibly have that much difference and not have it noticeable? I know that in our cool season grasses up here, it sure would be. There would be discolorations at ties, as well. At 1/2", there would be a 1/4" difference from the front of the blade stroke, to the side of the blade stroke. Kind of like ~~~.