Blade position relative to deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CPA, Sep 13, 2000.

1. CPA

CPA LawnSite Member

I am planning on trying the twin blade system mentioned on this forum. However, when I put the second set of blades on, the cutting edge is even with the bottom of the deck. The cutting edge of the first blade is 3/4 to 1 inch up from the bottom of the deck. It makes sense that this by itself would give a better cut, but is it safe? Would like your opinions and notes on the relation of your blades to the bottom of the deck. Thanks

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh? Are you saying the bottom blade is even with the bottom of the deck and the top blade is an 1" above? Are the blades on top of each other? I know on my mower...Scag 52" that the bottom blade is close to, if not, even with the bottom of the mower deck. I don't see a problem unless it is lower than the deck. Also with the advantage deck I have if you look from straight on the blade is actually lower than the front of the cutter deck by design so the the deck isn't pushing the grass down before it gets cut.

3. CPA

CPA LawnSite Member

Scraper, Yep. Your assessment of my situation is correct. The blades are on top of each other, however with the way the bottom blade is made the tips of the blade are 1/4"+ lower than the center across the length. Add to that the fact that the top blade is not flat across its width, it has a ridge on either side pointing down--I guess for strength (it is a gator). The bottom blade has the same ridges, pointing up. These ridges are probably 1/4", and with one pointing down and the other pointing up they rest on each other, adding an additional 1/2" of space. Thanks for your post, and I would appreciate any other opinions.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

CPA, if you have one blade on top of each other and one blade is 3/4" higher than the other, it sounds like you stacked them on each other and didn't put them in a + possition. In other words, put one blade so it is from the front of the deck to the back and the second blade so it's from side to side. The tips of the blades should be only a 1/4" difference in highth. Does this help? :)

I just re-read your post, it sounds like you put one blade on upside down and one the right way if the gator ridges are pointing down. Keep the ridges, or the lift part UP on both blades. Please be Safe!!! :)

[Edited by Eric ELM on 09-13-2000 at 08:14 PM]

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was trying to figure out Eric! I guess it takes the master to decipher this double blade talk! I couldn't figure out why he had the gap either! :)

6. CPA

CPA LawnSite Member

Guys, I put the blades in the + position. There are no spacers between the blades. Neither of the blades are upside down. They are two different kind of blades--one is a gator (top) and the other a high lift (bottom). The gator's "strengthening ridges" (not the teeth that provide the lift--I am speaking of ridges formed in the blade along either edge of the midsection to provide support) point down. The high lifts "ridges" point up. You guys must be working with blades that are flat across their width along their middle section--so far I have not been able to find any blades that will fit my mower with that characteristic. Hope this helps--and please keep responding.

[Edited by CPA on 09-13-2000 at 08:39 PM]

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

CPA, I have never seen a Gator blade like your talking about. Mine are flat in the middle. So just put the Gator on the bottom. This is how I run mine anyway. I've tried them on the top and the bottom and I don't see any difference. Putting them on the bottom should fix the problem. :)

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

CPA, if you have ridges at the middle of your blades I would think you would have to grind them off to mount the blades in and X

9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

CPA,
    What kind of mower are you talking about? What you are describing sounds like the mulching blade that is on my little push mower. If you're not talking about a push mower, it sure is a strange sounding set up you have there. I wouldn't consider a double blade set up on my little pusher.

10. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

I TRIED THE GATOR ON TOP AND THE AND HIGH LIFT ON THE BOTTOM
    AND THREE SPACERS ON THE BOTTOM WORKS NICE AND NICE STRIPES CUTTINGG HEIGHT ABOUT A LITLE 2-1/2 2-7/8 VERY NICE CUT BUT THIS WEARS OUT SPINDLES BUT MULCH VER NICE.