Blade positioning questioning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Amco Landscaping, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 48" bobcat with gator blades that started missing pieces of grass on my own property the other day. I was making nice stripes and i look behind me and there are assorted tall pieces of grass all over the place that were not cut. Then today i am at a customers house and i had to go over the grass twice because i was leaving lines of grass that werent cut. I went under the deck and cleaned out the grass build up but are the blades suppossed to be in the same position under the deck for example

----0---- ----0---- ----0---- or the way mine are is that they will never all three be at the same position. any ideas on why i am missing spots would be great

Matt

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

not to be a smart azz, but loose blades will do that....check em...

3. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

They need to be sharpened.. or replaced.. if theyve been sharpened too many times they will do that.

4. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

they are brand new! I am going to try and bring it to my friends shop and have him hit it with the impact gun. I tightened by hand and they seem tight

Matt

5. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

My 54' Bobcat will also do that if the grass (or weeds) are too tall. The deck will push the tall grass over and the blades pass over them before they can pop back up. You can cut at a higher level, run slower, or double cut.

6. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Gators dont get as much lift as a standard blade... so you dont get a great suction to lift and cut the grass.... My machine does this occasionally as well. Slowing up a bit has helped....

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's called streaking and all lawnmowers streak. To prevent it some, what I did is I raised the deck and lowered the blades, the ultimate effect being my blades are no longer recessed up inside the deck - they are flush with the skirt BUT now you have to be careful: Just because the deck clears an object (rock, root, etc) doesn't mean the blades will! Also this takes time, you want to still have your regular cut-height of however-many inches you had before the procedure.

Also I found gator blades suck, I run regular blades because standard blades create more lift and lift is required to PULL grass up into the deck so the blades can cut it. See the gator blades have these cuts in the fin and these cuts make the fin lose airflow. Basically, gator blades are designed for recycling and recycling means the blade of grass doesn't get ejected through the chute right away but stays inside the deck getting cut a few more times before it is ejected. But with lack of lift, there are obvious drawbacks and with a blade-speed of 3000+ rpm, I can't see how many more times a blade of grass needs cutting, even with standard blades it's plenty cut.
    Furthermore recycling is not just blades, it is a technique that requires more work, it's not as easy as it looks and no, if you have a recycler then you can not just cut-and-forget like you used to with standards. I could go into specifics but to keep things basic, recycling requires you to cut everything 2-3 times, sometimes 4-6.

So yeah, gator blades don't cut better, they MULCH better but mulching takes more time, and mulching is called recycling...

Peace

8. klink34

klink34 LawnSite Member

I have A dixie chopper and mine started doing that also. So I replaced the blades on it, with brand new blades it still seems to streak. These are just normal blades. This is a brand new mower just started using it in march, it shouldn't be doing this allready!!

9. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Amco,

To answer the alignment question. No, the blade alignment is not at all important. The blades are belt driven and they have non-precision pulleys. You can align the blades when you put them on, but after a few minutes of running, they will not be aligned - nature of the beast. Bolt them on in any position.

Tight blades are important, but there is no need to overtorque them. Careful with the impact.

I have found that blade type/make, deck type/make, ground speed, and the type of grass being cut are all factors in how complete the cut is. Previously if you had factory blades on there that didn't have this problem, get the Gators off of there and get the factory blades back on.

deej

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

taller thick grass definatly has to be cut slower or double cut. My new z master misses some if its too tall but when grass is maintaned properly it doesnt miss a single blade. Also if cutting wet grass and build up occurs under the deck it affects airflow and does the same thing. Try slowing up. Im using stock toro atomics and they cut great so far with very little missed grass unless I get in a hurry and rush over it.

I make ure blades are aligned as toro says -----0----- -----0----- ----0----

After all they know more about the engeniring and airflow and physics than i do.