Blade Pulley

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Alanky, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Alanky

Alanky LawnSite Member

This pulley is about to drive me crazy! It is the bottom pulley on the engine shaft that runns the blades. I had my mower serviced at the dealer and when I got it back it threw that back pulley out while I was cutting grass. Thank God I have a sulky! That thing came out with a vengance! If I didnt have a sulky I may be short a few toes! So I sent it back to the dealer and they fixed it. Then they brought it back to me again and you guessed it. I got about 5 feet and it threw that pulley off again! So they have my mower yet again as we speak. I talked to them (one af the guys I talked to was a complete...Well you know what!) and they cant seem to figure out why this pulley is coming off. They said they have tightend it down as tight as they can and it still throws it off. My question is what could be causing this? The dealer is GREAT and eXmark mowers are the BEST in my opinion, but this is starting to get a little fustrating and is costing me a little money. I have to go hit a few accounts with a 21 tomarrow, which is fine but I would rather have my eXmark! I have a 48 inch eXmark Viking 5 speed mower if that helps.

Thanks for your time!

Alan

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Alanky,

I have ran into the same issue, your answer is Loctite. You have to put thread lock on the set screws or the vibration will work them loose.

What we use here is the Blue Loctite or Prolock. Give this a shot and let us know. Should be 2 set screws on the bottom pulley.

Thanks, Fred.

3. Alanky

Alanky LawnSite Member

This time they put actual bolts in it instead of those set screws. They used loctite this time to. It has not come off yet, but it always made a slight grinding noise right before the pulley came off. Now it is constantly making that noise. So I'm afriad it may come off again later down the road, but if it does it will just go right back to the dealer. They have dealt with this pretty good! Except for that one guy. They also said they were going to give me an eXmark shirt for my troubles and patience, but only had small and med and im an XL type of guy haha. Thanks for the respose Fred! You guys have some great machines.

Alan

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

could the grinding noise be a bearing going bad? maybe damaged from being slung off or crushed if over tightened?