1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Qs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

Hello i have few qs on blades. How can a blade be unbalanced if its tightened by bolts. If i buy an angle grinder will that do the job for sharpening. Can someone explain to me diff in high lift, med lift etc. which one would you recommend. I see a lot of people talking about high lift and fusion blades.
  2. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

if one side of the blade is heavier than the other it is unbalanced.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When you sharpen dull blades, it is quite possible one inadvertently takes off a little more steel from one side than the other, causing a weight difference.

This inbalance in turn causes vibration, which results in a slight loss of rpm at first, and can cause undue wear on the bearings as well.
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch yourself when using a angle grinder. Blades are to be shrapened at a certain angle and if you change it by like 10 degrees or more its going to give you a crappy cut.
  5. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We pay to hae ours done. Its very minimal and it puts me on other jobs instead of trying to get them right. As far as your lifts on your blades use high lift or the Gator(r) blades. They do a much better job and will cut the grass better when its a little wet or tall
  6. ubirajara83

whats better angle grinder or bench grinder
  7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

a blade grinder when I go down to the shop next time I shoot a picture of it for you.
  8. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

....and I have had zero negative effects. Well, one. I was holding the blade on a cinder block with one hand and, squating on one knee.....using the grinder with the other hand. I had a fresh disc on the angle grinder and it caught on the blade and made it jump....jump right... off the blade and into my knee that was about 6" from the action. Six stitches and two hours later, I was finally bolting the blades onto the machine and getting back to work. The angle grinder hasn't knocked the balance off enough for a crappy cut, to have worn out spindles, or for any vibration. I used to use one of those stupid cone shaped "balancers"....hah! ..............Totally useless!.. Anyways....put the blade in a vise, use eye protection, and you should be alright with an angle grinder. Orrrrr, you can purchase a blade grinder from Lesco for under 400 bucks.....and do it like the shops do it. ;o)

9. ubirajara83

well on ebay they are selling under 50 bucks for angle grinder and bench grinder. Which one will be more reasonable for sharpening hedgers as well.
  10. TheLawnWarrior

TheLawnWarrior LawnSite Member

A blade is unbalance when one side of the blade is missing more metal than the other. It is spinning around at high RPM's and will create vibrations that will damage spindles over time. If you want to sharpen blades on your own the best way other than an actual blade grinder is a bench grinder, a conical blade balancer, some time and patience. But do it often and there is not much more than a touch up needed. The lift of a blade has to do with the trailing lip of the blade. The higher the lift the further the grass will get slung. I like high lift blades on side discharge mowers and low lift/mulch blades on mulching mowers. Gator blades are awesome on dry grass/sticks, but tends to clump up on wet grass. Fussion blades just refer to the Rockwell hardness test and are no different than regular blades on the non-homeowner machines.