Blade question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Apr 18, 2005.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I've got a Hustler 48"/15hp walkbehind and I've got a questions about blades. I run a mulch kit and the blades that Hustler (my dealer) recomeded with it were actually the regular blades. They cut well, but clumped up pretty bad. So I switched over to gator's and they don't clump up nearly as bad, but don't also don't cut nearly as clean. I've sharped them as much as I possibly can without great results. I'm wodering if I have enough horsepower to run gator's and regular blades set up as doubles? I don't think Huslter makes a true mulching blade but I could be wrong about this.

BTW, I would just like to say how much I appreciate Mowerconsultant who posts on the this forum. His envolvment with helping people on their Hustler stuff was one of the reasons that infulenced my purchase. I wish all companies had someone as accesable as him to help out.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Gator Blades cause too much air disturbance to work well with most mulch kits.

The TEETH they use for the lift sail is the culprit.

Gator Blades are OK for grinding leaves and really should be labeled a side discharge mulching blade.

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

could you use gators and a discharge cover for a semi mulch kit???

4. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I guess I could, but would that cause them to cut cleaner? When I say they don't cut clean, what I mean is that they leave some grass uncut and I have to do a lot of double mowing.

5. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I have a bobcat 17hp/54in wb that I run doubles - stock mulching + Rhino. This combo allows for good side discharge in heavy grass with minimal clipings. In light grass I install a mulching discharge blocker and compleatly eliminate clippings. This combo gives me the best results in wide variety of conditions.