Blade Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brad, Apr 17, 2000.

1. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

Greetings, and thanks for reading. Have a question regarding the blades on an older mower I have. Picked the mower up last year after it had been sitting for 5-8 years. It's a '75 vintage John Deere rear engine #68 which probably has no bearing on my problem... Question is, when I mow grass and cut 2-4 inches off, the mower discharges 2-4 inch long waste. My newer push mowers, 21 inch units, even on discharge, seem to mulch the refuse up quite a bit. I think that the blades on there are fairly fresh, but still close to 10 years old. Would a pair of mulching blades on there do a better job of making a more presentable discharge? The way it is, almost looks like a hay field after a sickle mower has been thru there. <p>Thanks for any suggestions, (short of keeping the old blades and getting a new mower!).<p>Brad
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching blades are exactly what you need.
  3. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

How do you guys sharpen your mower blades? Right now i use a belt sander and a bench grinder. the bench grinder doesnot do that great of job cause i can't set my blade on anything and the motor is in the way. the belt sander works could but i have to change the once or twice a month. I have to sharpen my blades once a week. Any ideas?
  4. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

Bridges: That's a good question. Maybe start a new post with that question to catch the attn of the pro's, who may not read it in this post. I think I saw someplace that you can take a little pc of wood cut to the proper angle and put it on your grinder and you are all set, but not sure where I saw it. will have to look around.<p>Brad