Blade question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, May 9, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've got a question, my mower has 39 hours on it and I'm noticing when I engage the blades it will hesitate a little before completely engaging. It just started doing this and I was wondering if this is normal? It use to make a squeaky sound before but the blades would engage immediately. I noticed this after putting the double blades on. The engine is a 15 HP kawa.

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

If it is belt driven it probally it stretching out some.If it has an electric clutch, idle down before engaging blades. This will save you wearing out the clutch prematurely (engine at maybe 3500 rpm: blades 0 rpm at start).

3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I never thought about the belts slipping. I'll have to check it. Will the double blades have anything to do with it? I like the way the doubles cut.

4. Lawngeek

Lawngeek Guest

always engage and disengage blades on slow or near slow or the belts will stretch and cluth will burn

5. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I have a new toro with a 15hp kohler and it will kill the engine if i try to engage the blades with out full throttle. I always disengage the blades at at idle though.