1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LushGreenLawn, Jun 23, 2007.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I saw someone suggest buying Gator Blades from ExpressMowerParts.com. The blades I see there are "T4 mulching blades" and run around $8 each. I can get actual Gator Blades from Mowpart.com for $9.64, but the shipping is a little higher.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money on the gator brand? The T4 picture looks the same, does anyone have any experience with them?

2. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

I get all my blades from Expressmowerparts.com and have used their T4 mulching blades. They work very well. We only run them during leaf removal season, the rest of the time we run their medium lift heavy duty blades.
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag: Ive been buying gator-blades from Landscapers' Supply for over 10yrs, The toro gators from my dealer are wayover priced....I get 5 sets at a time and save big bucks, they meet oem spec's, they are a tad thinner but still last for a good while..........Mark's Mowing Service
  4. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

What does your local shop charge? I get real Gator's for $10 each.
  5. LushGreenLawn

My local shop harges almost $14. I am buying 6 sets of them so the little bit extra will add up fast, otherwise I would save the hassle and buy from them.
  6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Expressmowerparts blades are all I run and the savings are bigeven over other online suppliers they hold up and are cheap
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If you spend a certain amount at mowpart I think you get free shippining. Of course, I won't order from them again because I think their customer service sucks. I had ordered my wheel drive belts from them and they didn't fit, but appeared to be the correct part number, I emailed the man in charge asking what could we do, and never got a response. So screw them, there are plenty of other suppliers out there.
  8. LushGreenLawn

I called a different John Deere Dealer than I usually go to. The parts guy told me they had "Gator Blades" on sale. $9.64 Each, normally a little over $14 each. I asked if they were genuine Gator Blades, and was told that they were.

One set was in a box, one set was not. I flipped over the set out of the box. It had Oregon stamped on the bottom. Opened the box, and pulled out a different brand "Dominator Aftermarket Mulching Blades" that were painted Green. They look like the gator blades, and I'm going to use them, but I have learned my lesson (again) about being cheap. I will use the Dealer that I always go to, a few dollars higher or not. Never had a bad experience from them, and the one time they mis quoted me a price on a part, thay gave me a free pair of $20 gloves.
  9. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Even at a dealer, but more so online, you have to specifically say that you want this or that...whether it be brand or part#. If not they will sell you what they have in stock. You need to make sure if the parts are OEM or OEM quality or just aftermarket. Big difference.