1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by simsy71, Jun 30, 2003.

1. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

Ok I feel stupid asking this but how do you guys take off your old blades to replace them with new ones. I have an Exmark Metro 48 Belt drive. It is only a few weeks old. I went to take off my blades with a regular socket wrench using a 5 16th socket and I could not budge it. After about 15min I gave up. Any tips would be greatful Thanks Mike
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You need a 15/16"!!! :D

Actually, on a WB.

Lift front of deck and secure.

Get TWO 15/16" BOX wrenches, they're long!

Put one on top nut.

And the other under the blade on the blade bolt.

Then just apply some good old fashioned ARM POWER!

That, or get air powered impact tools.

The wrenches should do the trick though!
  3. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

ooopsss I was using 15\16 my bad. Thanks for the advice on the longer wrench.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

simsy--it sounds like the blades have kind of rusted to the bolt causing it to be difficult to remove.

also...make sure you are turning the nut the right dirrection to remove....:blush:

also...I use a block of wood to scotch the blade against the frame under the deck...therefore only needing one wrench. I use a 1/2 in. ratchet wrench, or an air wrench sometimes.

also...many operators change blades very frequently.

good luck

BTW...I torque the spindle nut at 90 lbs. right or wrong....

5. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

Get a 1/2" electric impact gun. They work great, you don't have to fill the compressor tank for an air impact gun just to sharpen the blades. We've got a couple, a Dewalt and a no-name brand either one works great. The Dewalt puts out 175 ft. lbs torque, more than enough to loosen blades. We've got an inverter on the truck so we can use it on the road as well.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would highly suggest either a breaker bar or an air system. We just finally switched over to an air system this year. What a time saving difference it makes. (no more scratched up nuckles)
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Every LCO should invest in an air compessor and an 1/2 inch drive air impact gun. Will be money well spent. You will get your $$$ back in time saved......I bought used compressor 4hp for $100.00 and a new CP impact for $99.00. Don't know how I made it without them.
  8. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member