blade question?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KevG, Sep 3, 2003.

1. KevG

KevG LawnSite Member

I noticed in the manual for my turf tracer that the blade bolt should be torqed to 115 to 120 ft pounds. How critical is it to get that close. I use an impact wrench that I think delivers 230 ft pounds max. torqe and really cant tell how much torqe is being delivered. How much is to much, and what damage could happen from getting to tight? Should I purchase a torqe wrench? Thanks for any help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

KevG,

Good question. The torque requirement for the blade bolt on the floating deck models is for a couple of reasons. One we want you to make sure the bolt is tight enough that it can't vibrate loose. The second reason is really a matter of blade bolt life and convenience. If you don't get the bolt tight enough then it can "self tighten" much more easily and make the blades difficult to remove. I've seen blade and bolt when clean and free from debris that you can loosen with a standard wrench or breaker bar after they've hit something hard enough to stall the engine. The key is having the blade bolt torqued properly.

The blade bolt is much less likely to self tighten if the bolt is tight to begin with. Heavy wet spring grass can create enough load to cause a loose bolt to self tighten.

We would recommend that you have a torque wrench. If you don't have access to a torque wrench then at a minimum replace the spring disk washers a couple of times per year and tighten the bolt until the washer is flat.

Thanks

Terry