blade question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

Being new at this can some one please tell me the differance between high cut blades mulch blades , running single blades and running double blades. What are the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance

Rich

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

have u done a search

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Yes and Im not finding a answer specific to my question

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Double blades are the best thing that has happened to my bussiness since i started the company....ive been using them for 4 seasons on every machine i have ..

pros- increased air-flo in deck resulting in smother more even cut....stripes twice a dark compared to single blade...discharge is finer, spreads more evenly and goes farther.

cons- pain in the but to keep up with sharpening 4-6 blades per mower.....can rob HP is you are under powered to begine with.

As far as blade type goes it really all depends on the season....in the
    spring-dual high lifts
    Summer-high lift bottom Gator on top
    fall-dual gators

high lift blades give you a little more airflo inside the deck and ussually reust in a more even discharge pattern. thats why i use them in the spring when the grass is tall.

mulching blade do exactly what they are called....they are good for leaves, dry grass and great for field mowing. in wet or moist grass they tend to make the grass clump up from the test i have done at least....so i would stay away from ussing them for spring clean-ups and spring cutting.

5. Scenic Lawnscape

ok next question is there a kit you have to buy to install dual blades. If so where can ivget them??

Thanks

Rich

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

No bracket needed just install them at 90degrees to each other. Tighten down as you would any blade. If you run doubles you might get some blow out.

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

dixie chopper does make a bracket for running doubles...we use them so the blades will not move if you hit something. but we did run doubles for 3 years without the brackets and it worked just fine.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the Meg-Mo System - They are a sponsor at the top of the page - click on their banner. The blades are disc type with 4 swinging end blades, and basically mow like doubles, except maybe better.

Thanks, Brad