1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobbyKnight, May 17, 2005.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

1. How often should I sharpen my blades. I probably have about 10-12 hours per week mowing. So far this year the grass has seemed to have dulled my blades quickly. The fluctuating temps. and rain have made the grass hard to keep under control when my accounts only want their lawn done once each week.

2. How long should a blade last before I should replace it?

3. Where is the best place I can purchase blades, or should I just stick with my dealer? I just bought a new set of blades for my JD 737 about 4 weeks ago. I think for the three blades it was something like $45. Can I get quality blades somewhere else?

4. How many sets of blades should I keep on hand? Currently I have two. One is the set I used all last season.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

#1) Max 8 hrs
    #2) Replace every year
    #3) Try J-Thomas or suck it up at the dealer!
    #4) How ever many you want. But i would say minimum 2.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Should be able to get 10 - 12 hrs on a blade before sharpening as long as it is done correctly (correct angle). Try a pair of aftermarkets and see how they work for you. Some hold an edge longer, some dont.