Blade Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Enzo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

I was needed some help with the blades I got on my machines. On my new ExMark Turf Tracer 48 inch I have normal blades on them and I did so far about 15 hours of mowing with them. On my Husqvarna 48 in I have the gator blades where they got the teeth on them. My question is how often should I sharpen them? I also have two sets of each just in case. Another thing is should I do it myself or have someone else do it because I know that the weight has to be even or it can cause some problems when mowing. If you take to much steel off on one side than the other with a grinder you would have problems wouldnt you? Any ideas???
  2. MyKisa

MyKisa LawnSite Member

get a magnamatic

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

buy a blade ballancer at home depot they are under $5
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

No need to balance the blades, been in the business for 20 plus years.
    dont know how much your mowing, but we sharpen 9 blades every day.
  5. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

I agree with bohiaa. We dont balance are blades and we sharpen them every day. We use gator on everthing including the Turf tracer they seem to stay sharper longer unless we are mowing over a bunch of sand.
  6. lpgasman13

lpgasman13 LawnSite Member

I had an old lawn mower mechanic tell me one time that you should sharpen your blades about every 12-15 hrs of use. To me this has prooved to be a good rule of thumb. The only blade I ever balance is the one for my pushmower. If it is out of balance somewhat you'll feel it in the handle. I always use a large straight screwdriver shaft as my balancing bar. Its not rocket science, they can be somewhat off and be OK