1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Movinfr8, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to order an extra set of blades for my 36 inch Metro. It has a mulch kit installed, and Gators. I will probably order another set, as they are doing very well, with a good bit of blowout when the blades are low in the deck. I would like to hear suggestions for doubles, as well as where to order online, also might order a couple filters for the 15 Kohler, and a replacement belt or 2. Any online sources worthy of mention??
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Lots of guys use J. Thomas: http://www.j-thomas.com/

As far as doubles, concensus seems to be Gators above High-Lifts. I like it the other way around. I’ve done quite a bit of work with doubles now, and wouldn’t even think about using them without rubber skirting around the sides and back. That reduces blowout, dust, and effectively gives you a deeper deck to help with mulching.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

j-thomas is a good area

I run doubles with high lift on bottom and gator on top
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

try single high lifts.

sounds too simple I know.

Just try it.

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades . I think you would very happy.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I use the excalibur mulching blades on my eXmark TTHP 36", works great.
  7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

The Exmark mulching are designed specifically for the Micro mulch kit. These blades will perform better than Gators. Doubles don't work too well either. Too much blowout and lift. Experiment with diferent types and combos, but when its all said and done you'll probably go with the Exmark mulching blades. (They were great on leaves as well).
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Excalibur IS the eXmark mulching blades.
  9. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

.......I am currently using wet grass blades on a Metro HP 36 with the mulching kit installed. Would a standard High lift blade be better?

I mow a lot of St. Augustine with it and still get that occasional blade of grass in the cut path that somehow gets missed. Running in 4th gear.