Blade Recommendation

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Brian M, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the replys,
    I believe I already have the baffle on it, it is kinda shaped like gull wings and mounts on the front of the deck.

As far as the solid airfoil p/n 103-1578, is that a blade p/n???
    If not, what blade would I want to use when bagging leaves that will cause the least amount of blowout?

Brian

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Brian,

The part numbers for your 52" Exmark blades are:
    103-2528 - Notched airfoil
    103-1578 - solid airfoil
    103-2508 - low lift
    103-2518 - mulching

The notched blade will give you the most blow out in dry conditions. The solid gives much less blow out and I personally feel it bags leaves better and give a cleaner cut than the notched blade. This blade however does not work very well in wet conditions.

The low lift blade gives the lease amount of blow out but may not have enough lift to pull the leaves from the turf and deposit them into the bag.

The mulching blade should be used with the mulch kit. We have not found any blade that performs as well with our mulching deck.

Which combination exhibits the least amount of blow out will vary based on the varying conditions. I really like the mulch kit for leaves as long as they are not excessively thick.

If I'm side discharging or bagging in all but wet conditions I lean toward the solid airfoil blade. This blade will certainly cause less blow out than the notched blade but more than the low lift.

Thanks

Terry

3. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks Terry,

I'll try the solid foils and see how they work out! Hope my dealer has them in stock!
    Regarding the mulch kit:
    Does the addition of the mulch kit make the underside of the deck load up with grass more often, hence needs to be scraped more often? As opposed to wide open side discharging???

Brian

4. eXmark

Brian,

If there is enough moisture in the lawn the mulch kit will load up the deck faster than when side discharging. It really is dependant upon the grass. In some situations it is possible to carry some grass in the mulch kit when you would find very little if you were side discharging.

This is generally manageable until you get into situations where there is enough moisture to load the deck when side discharging. This translates into more scraping when mulching.

Thanks

Terry

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Terry, I purchased the solid airfoil blade the other day and soon realized that they have the exact same lift as the notched airfoil. How exactly do they reduce blowout?

6. eXmark

Locotus,

I'm not really 100% sure how or why but it does really work. It appears that the solid airfoil doesn't allow as much air to roll off the tip and directs it a little higher in the deck.

Thanks

Terry