Blade Removal on Grasshopper 721 mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carp, Aug 6, 2004.

1. carp

carp LawnSite Member

Don't know if I need a bigger sledge hammer or something else. Need to get the blades off to sharpen and can't seem to get the bolts to break loose. I presume they are left-hand threads as on most mowers. Anyone got any ideas as to how to make this work? Do I need a pneumatic wrench...something else?

Thanks in advance
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

no problems with my 725.

lefty-loosy, right?

If it's the first time you're taking them off, they were probably put on with an impact wrench by the dealer. You'll either need the same, or possibly a breaker bar.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Block the blade with a 2x4 somewhere against the underside of the deck edge. Then get a breaker bar, maybe 18" long and you should be able to get the bolt loose. NO NOT use an air impact. You stand a good chance of ruining the threads up inside of the spindle shaft. If the breaker bar does not work, rig up a cheater pipe about 2 or 3 feet long. The bolts really should not be that hard to get loose. Blocking the blade really good is the key to getting them loose.
  4. carp

carp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, took a little more effort than expected, but got them off. One of the bolts is a little worn, probalby will replace it - at least grease it up a bit to keep the dirt out.

Thanks again.