blade removal question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 944own, Apr 5, 2011.

1. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I always let this guy at a little tire shop by my house change my blades well he quit so I am trying to change my blades on my Lesco ztwo. My impact just wont break the bolts and I tried putting a block of wood between a blade and the deck and pulled so hard it looked like the blade was bending. Am I doing something wrong could they be threaded backwards so right would be loose instead of lefty loosey or has he just put these things on like hercules. In so many words how can I get them off. Thanks

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Use a long breaker bar over your ratchet with the block of wood and give her hell. Lefty loosey is correct.

3. watsmi57

watsmi57 LawnSite Senior Member

he probably overtightened them. might have to fashion a pull bar to get some torque on it. hollow metal pipe works well. block the blades and pull

4. 944own

that is what I have been doing with a bar over the ratchet I guess these blades are just gonna get bent. What about heating up the bolt

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

dont add to much torque and break the bolt. on my 04 cobra, i run into the same situtation when taking the crank cage off. well how you get it off is with the jack. put the breaker bar at 6 o clock, put the handle in the jack's cuplet and then jack up the jack and it breaks it free. so you can try doing that to get extra strength.

6. 944own

I finally got a blade off I dont know what difference it makes but when I went at it from the nut on top of the spindle it was not near as hard to get off.

7. Brett's Lawn Care

Brett's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Off subject kind of... How often do you change your blades?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. 944own

I have not changed them since around Dec when I put the mower up for the winter but like I said I was not changing them myself.

9. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Ha I did this exact same thing on my walk behind only to realize I needed two ratchets. You need one to hold the nut on top of the deck and one to hold the one on the bottom, counter your pulls so you're completely loosening on both ends and they're off. I can get mine off every time easy without wood, breaker bars, or anything crazy like that.

It's not like a pushmower where there is just one bolt on the bottom and you stick a block of wood in. I may be mistaken but I think you have it mistaken to where you're trying to only loosen the bottom, and if that's the case you'll never get it off or break the blade. Take deck cover off to expose the top nut

edit: didn't read fully, I seen you found the one on top.

10. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

they were way over tightened.. put an extension pipe or something over the wrench or ratchet.. i just use two wrenches ((pep boys box ends)) hand tight..keep a pair on each truck.. anything more is a waste of time unless your mowing fence posts.. all my friends ask me how i use wrenches and tell me how its a waste of time..i say well it spins down by hand then you 1/4 turn it hahaha takes me liek 3 min per mower