blade removal question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 944own, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

I love guys that come in complaining about why a threads so long over a bolt and instead of just thinking it they have to post, bumping the thread and keeping it going, and no the whole thread's not about how to get a bolt off.

2. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Something I've learned thru the years is to use a box end wrench when you're using a "cheater pipe" on something. This keeps the torque in a straight line compared to a ratchet/socket. Works much better with much less chance of busted knuckles and rounded shoulders.

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm guessing the guy didn't apply grease on the bolt and over tighten it.

4. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

get a good impact wrench

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't know about the lesco brand but the mowers i've come across are righty tighty, lefty loosey.

i use a breaker bar on my mower blades on my 52" grandstand and a block of wood. my impact isn't powerfull enough either.

i know the manuals suggest a certain torque when tightening bolts on mower blades but i just use tighten them as tight as i can with my own strength and the breaker bar.

6. D&K Lawns

D&K Lawns LawnSite Member

Stihlbr600, how old are you? Not old enough. If you want to bad mouth and throw your sorry attitude around, then take it somewhere else. You prick.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea the battery powered impact wrenches are worth their weight in gold all day long. I have a dewalt 18v, they also have a compact unit out now, little less torque but still adequate.You dont really need 450lbs of torque. 300-350 is more then adequate. The bolts only need to be torqued to 80 lbs or so give or take. I bought mine off of ebay for around $300 and then purchased a set of sockets from an auto store.

Yea those are very good units. I think I paid around $300 for mine. You just gotta make sure the front end is jacked up high enough so the entire length of impact wrench can fit under the blade bolt to zip it off.

8. yardguy28

i'll second that........:clapping:

ok stihlbr600 brace yourself cause i'm gonna ask toro here a question about a problem i'm having.

what is wrong with my situation toro. i have a 10 gallon air compressor and an impact gun and wrench. neither one will loosen the bolt at all. i know the wrench won't work but i figured the gun would have.

i'm asking because i hear people all the time talk about there cordless 18v units and i can't even do it with an air powered unit.

9. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Id say your tank isn't big enough to adequately run your gun. If that was on a bigger say 60 gallon tank it would probably spin right off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. yardguy28

that would have been my guess but i wanted others opinions.

i told the guy at napa (where i bought the tank) what i was using it for and he assured me it would work.

probably should have taken it back right away but i use for everything else i do so it'll work until i decide otherwise. not a lot of room under the deck for that impact gun anyway.

might sell the tank i have to my dad and get a bigger one down the road.