Blade Removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PFlorenzano, Apr 20, 2006.

1. PFlorenzano

PFlorenzano LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to taking blades off of a commercial mower. I own a 2000 Scag 48" walk behind with the 17 HP Kawasaki. When I attempt to remove the blades, the pulleys move. Some people say that the Scag Blade Mate works well but I don't see spending $50.00 for such a tool.

With that being said, is there a way to remove the blades without purchasing this tool? Maybe with a breaker bar?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete :)

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I use an air impact wrench to change my blades in the shop, if I need to replace a blade in the field I use a block of wood to wedge the blade under the deck and remove the bolt with a breaker bar (have only had to do this twice).

BobR

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Why can't you just use a wrench to hold the nut on the pullies so they do not move. you will find info in the owners manual, or go to web site and ask the company. They will be glad to tell you.

4. PFlorenzano

PFlorenzano LawnSite Member

Thank you for the quick feedback guys.

This machine is used for residential only. I could use an impact wrench, but I would have to purchase one first. I like the block of wood method.

More suggestions are welcome.

Pete

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, I always used a big adjustable wrench on top, wedge it in such a way it doesn't move but watch where you wedge it (not against that rubber tube lol).
    Then, 1/2 ratchet with the right socket and an extension (aka breaker bar) on the bottom and puuuuullll but anytime you're taking blades off by hand be very careful due to slippage.
    Oh, to help keep the blades from spinning, if you have a manual engage some mowers you can engage the belt and this helps some.

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Simple...block the blade using a piece of 2x4 and clamp it on the deck. That will keep the blade from spinning past that point...

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

get yourself an impact wrench. much much easier. they make electric ones now... i havent got one but i have heard they work well.

8. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I use a long box end wrench on one side and a long ratchet on the other side. Sometimes I'll use a 1" diameter PVC pipe to add some leverage. It's simple and cost effective.

Using a block of wood works too, but be sure that the wood doesn't slip for you can really bang up your hands or knuckles. I also can't hurt to wear gloves.

Good luck.

9. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

It's worthwhile to invest in an impact...

The electric units are decent for changing blades and removing wheels. I've even seen cordless impacts that work fine too.

10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is a 15/16". I use a socket on a breaker bar with a ratchet on the bottom and a box wrench on top. You don't even need the ratchet.