1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use cordless impact guns for blade removal? Ive read in the manul that blades only need to be torqued down to 70 ft/lbs and im looking at an 18 volt ridged impact wrench that will do over 100. We have been running in to situations where we would like to swap 1 or all of the blades half way though a day without going back to the shop. Is 70 ft/lbs enough? Is there anyway the blades could untighten or do they actually overtighten if anything the way the blades rotate.

2. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Yes,everyday. I use a DeWalt Cordless to remove but torque by hand on the install.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Crews have a 18V Makita for emergency field use if needed.
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The Dewalt is the best made as far as I'm concerned, but they do cost more. Have you ever checked the torque after tightening the bolt with what you consider to be tight enough, I use an electric impact wrench because I don't have to trailer my mower anywhere and I have never put a Torque wrench on them but I can tell when that boy hits them they are tight and when you remove them you know they were plenty tight. I am just curious about how much an 18V Dewalt impact wrench can put to them, I have everything 18V Dewalt has except the impact wrench and I know it will be strong in comparison with their other 18V tools. The 18V Dewalt impact wrench has 300 ft. lbs. of torque, the 36V only has 325 lbs. just a lot longer run time.
  5. GearHead_1

from Utah

I've never really checked the torque after installation because there are few things that I would use this gun full tilt on. I use it in a repair shop to get things off. I know it will pull lug nuts off a Ford Truck torqued to 150 ft./lbs. without breaking a sweat.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I know you didn't ask but I run doubles and torque to 100 ft/lbs.

I just thought I'd throw out that number.

GEO :)
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Same here. I also use Anti-Seize compound on the bolts.
  8. puppypaws

It is really amazing to get that much power out of an 18V battery powered tool. I have their most powerful 18V 1/2" drill and I was putting 4" long 1/2" lag bolts in a horse arena we were building and I thought to myself this battery can't last long because it took a lot of power to get them pulled up. I had three batteries charged up and I did not count them but it probably put in around a hundred before I had to change batteries, I really could not believe it was capable of that. I figured if it got fifty it would have done great but Dewalt has amazing tools.
  9. GearHead_1

from Utah

I whole heartedly agree. They're pretty amazing. I built a new home about 1 year ago. I purchased one of the DeWalt 6 Pack sets of 18 Volt tools. It has a circular saw, hammer drill, saber saw, jab saw, light, charger, couple of batteries etc. They offered the impact as a freebie by mail with the purchase of this kit. It didn't come with any additional batteries but it is a good unit. The hammer drill flat amazes me. I've used it to death and it never misses a beat.
  10. puppypaws

I have been using Anti-Seize compound ever since they started making it for all kinds of uses around my farm machinery and chicken house equipment and if you get it on yourself it is like what you are putting it on you can't hardly get it off. I believe the Fluid Film will work good for a lot of the same uses because it breaks down corrosion and will not dry. I had a pair of scissors I use to open salt bags for my water softeners so you can imagine how rusty they were. I sprayed them good with Fluid Film and left them laying on top of my well house just to see what it would do with the rust and when I came back about a week later I was amazed, it had softened all the rust and left a damp coat of lubricant on them and they worked 100% better than they did before, you can't wipe it off. I'm positive if you wanted something you had that stayed outside not to rust and work smoothly you could spray it with Fluid Film and moisture could not affect it in any way. This stuff is really good.