Blade removal?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SER, Jun 3, 2004.

1. SER

SER LawnSite Member

SER requests assistance........

I need some help here. I just removed the blade off a mower. I removed the screw holding the blade, but can't remove the blade attachment that holds the blade to the shaft. I think it is rusted on. I tried heating it with a map gas torch, didn't help. I tried spraying rusty bolt loosener stuff and still no good. I tried some persuasion with a hammer and nothing. ANy suggestions???
    SER:(

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It this a rider or push mower. We had a man the other day trying to remove a blade adapter from a AYP rider and the adapters on these spindles are welded on. On push mower a gear puller works good. It may not come off in a reuse-able state however. I have had to remove them in pieces. You may want to thank about replacing the oil seal if you used a torch on a push mower. You could have melted it. And if you do use a gear puller put a bolt in the blade bolt hole to keep from messing it up. Good luck

3. repair_guy

repair_guy LawnSite Member

If this is a pushmower,I,ve found that a piece of iron held under the adepter while hitting with a hammer works good.The viberation works in your frvor.

And also I'd replace that oil seal.The heat from the torch ruind it.