1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blade removal?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SER, Jun 3, 2004.

1. SER

SER LawnSite Member

SER requests assistance........

I need some help here. I just removed the blade off a mower. I removed the screw holding the blade, but can't remove the blade attachment that holds the blade to the shaft. I think it is rusted on. I tried heating it with a map gas torch, didn't help. I tried spraying rusty bolt loosener stuff and still no good. I tried some persuasion with a hammer and nothing. ANy suggestions???
    SER:(

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It this a rider or push mower. We had a man the other day trying to remove a blade adapter from a AYP rider and the adapters on these spindles are welded on. On push mower a gear puller works good. It may not come off in a reuse-able state however. I have had to remove them in pieces. You may want to thank about replacing the oil seal if you used a torch on a push mower. You could have melted it. And if you do use a gear puller put a bolt in the blade bolt hole to keep from messing it up. Good luck

3. repair_guy

repair_guy LawnSite Member

If this is a pushmower,I,ve found that a piece of iron held under the adepter while hitting with a hammer works good.The viberation works in your frvor.

And also I'd replace that oil seal.The heat from the torch ruind it.