1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade set-up for a Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DTM65, Mar 13, 2000.

1. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

I have a new Scag Turf Tiger, 61&quot; deck, 25 HP. I am interested in input on the best blade combinations for this mower. I have heard of Gators on 1 or 2 spindles or have heard of doubling up on two blades per spindle. (Don't dis my mower, I love it.)<p>I'm a homeower and only use this on my own lot cutting around 2.5 Acres of a fescue lawn in Southern Indiana.<p>Thanks!!<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would run the blades it came with.<p>My experience has been gator blades work well in the fall for mulching, but don't cut as clean as &quot;factory&quot; blades.<p>Gator does have their new high-lift out this year you could give a try. I wouldn't mess with double blade setup.
  3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have to agree with Lazer on the double blade setup. If you mow when the grass needs mowing, you'll not need the double blade setup. If the manufacturer thought it was necessary for a double blade setup, they would have designed the machine that way. I'm not saying it doesn't work, only in most cases it is not necessary. Thanks, lynn
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

i have found on the scag decks, that for the best striping effect you should run standard lift blades (stock) on the left and center spindle, and run a high lift blade (optional) on the discharge side of the deck.<br>this creates a better airflow in the deck and gives a better stripe
  5. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

DTM65, i got a Turf Tiger too, the same model, except it's a '99 with only small diferences. <br>you have made a wise choice. i love mine, it's built like a tank, looks nice, and sticks to hills like dirt on a worm. the cut is great too. <br>let me know what you think of it. we need to hear from some more SCAG owners around here. ARRH ARRH ARRH<br>
  6. TurfMaster

TurfMaster LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I agree with ZYAL8Rm, there is never too much talk on these discussion forums about SCAG Power Equipment, seems to always be Exmarks. Now I don't know if certain parts of the country trust certain brands or if the word has just not got out on SCAG. I, like ZYAL8Rm just purchased a new 61&quot; Scag Turf Tiger with the 22hp water-cooled Kawaski engine in comparison to the Kohler engine that the put on the same mower. Does anyone have any input on which engine in terms of longevity and maintenance seems to be the best? Just another Scag owner wanting to here some opinions!
  7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't run Scags, but I'll tell you the 22K WC will outlast any Kohler air-cooled.
  8. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the input on blade combinations. <br>I agree that we should discuss Scag mowers more. I'm gonna start another discussion on Scags and some other general stuff.<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
  9. pfisdon

pfisdon LawnSite Member

Finally, some positive comments on the SCAG mower! I have been using them for 12 years with only minor problems. I just recently bought a water-cooled 22hp 61&quot; Turf Tiger.Have not had a chance to give it a workout yet.
  10. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

props to the fellow SCAG owners. <br>Whats everyone think of the Liquid Kawi??<br>i really wanted to buy my Tiger w/ the kawi but was concerned of only 22hp on a 61&quot;....<br>how does it do on gas???<br>does it have enough power???<br>