1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bridges, Apr 18, 2000.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

So how does every one sharpen their mower blades?<br>I use a bench grinder, but have no where to rest the blade and the motor gets in the way. And i also use a belt sander. that works better, but go thru belts once a month. I sharpen my blades every week. <p>
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't want to spend 400+ on a blade sharpener then get yourself a good vise and a decent angle grinder. Dont sharpen the blade like a knife. Sharpen it like an axe. Make sure you balance the blade or you will be in the market for new spindles too. Good Luck.
  3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with MowEd,it would be easier to use<br>a 4&quot; angle grinder.If you can though,leave<br>the blades on the mower,yhat is if you have<br>easy access.<p>Karl<br>
  4. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

5. Alan

Alan Member

I sharpen with an angle grinder and balance afterwards. I can't see any way to justify the ridiculous cost of a dedicated blade grinder. Can anyone tell me exactly what the advantage of using one is supposed to be?
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a bench grinder, and finish with a file and balancing. I sharpen every other day during summer, every day during fall clean-ups.
  7. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

Thanks i just came back from home depot. I bought dewalt angle grinder. Works Great<p>----------<br>Tony<br>
  8. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

be sure to check a previous post from back in feb-march of this year. Had lots of info.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The easyest and fastest way to sharpen a blade is with a dedicated blade grinder.The enichal cost is returned many times over and your angles are always the same whitch makes it easier and faster. I change blades every day or sooner depending on the property.
  10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree with gene gls.I bought a professional blade sharpener and It has worked awsome!!!!!Also I made a cheap way to balance my blades.Find two bearings that fit in the bolt hole in the center of your blade.Then attach the bearings to each other with a nut and bolt system.Take the bearings that are now on the bolt and attach it to a 2 by 4 peice of wood.Then take the bord with the bolt and berings and mount it on you shop wall.All you have to do is place the blade on the berings horizontally and let go.If one side is heavy it will swing down.Just take the blade off and grind it untill their balanced.Hope this will save you guys some money it is cheaper than an electronic one and more accurate than placing it on somthing like a nail.<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care<br>