1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpener for handheld drill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 14, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use a grinding stone on a handheld drill to sharpen their blades?

I also heard of some kind of device that attaches to a drill that has 2 grinding stones, set at an angle to each other, that you run the blade thru left to right and it puts a real nice edge on the blades. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? Thanks!
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is how we sharpen all of our blades with a grinder on a hand held. It's so much easier because we don't have to take off the blades every time.
  3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I went to Home Depot and asked 2 people, one was the "tool area manager" and they didn't have a freaking grinding stone in drill-bit format.... They had all kinds of stuff for the rotozip gizmo, but not drills.. And they had circular discs and steel bristles for scraping off crappy paint, but not a true grinding stone for blades...

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You can buy little grinder wheels for drills and use them. Also there is a blade sharpener for drills that has an angled grining wheel and a round plastic guide that you put against the bottom of the blade.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do know that the last time that I got a grinding stone it was hard to come by. It seems like a lot of times now all they do is sell the stone, and then you must rig up the stone with the proper bit and washers to be able to use it. It is a pain.

If I was you though I would go to a local hardware store. They are more likely to have a grinding stone than a larger chain.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

This is funny, because after looking at the pile of blades in the shop waiting to be sharpened today, I decided that the 12 inch file I've been using wasn't up to the job.

I ruled out the bench grinder (Couldn't find it but didn't look very hard and didn't feel like mounting it anyway).

I tried sanding discs on the drill with some succes. Then dug through the pile of stones...either too worn or no way to attach them easily.

Soooo...I ran out to Home Depot and bought an angle grinder.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Darryl, you are slowly working your way to buying a dedicated blade grinder. I'll give you 2 more years until you buy one. Even the cheapest RBG is faster and gives better results then anything else.
  8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard of this from someone else. Isnt the angled part of the blade facing up into the deck? If so, how are you sharpening?
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you're gonna run doubles, you really want to take the blades off and balance them, when you sharpen. Also, my Hustler blades are really hard and you need a bench grinder. If you want to come to work, I can show you how to sharpen them in a few minutes.
  10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i picked up a sharpener for a drill ready to use at wal-mart in the garden section--think it cost like 4$ or so---also found one in the lawnmower section at home depot--it came with a small balancer and ran like 5.50$ or so