Blade Sharpener for the Little Guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandFakers, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Prosno

Prosno LawnSite Member
    from Ct

Had a Bradley, tried the Magna matic and gave the bradley away-Magna matic well worth the money

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the Magna Matic along with the blade balancer! Sharp blades and better on the spindles when balanced..

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

I just use a flap wheel on an angle grinder. I've got a Magna Matic balancer and would love to have a Magna Matic sharpener but I can't justify it. I don't see how anyone short of a major landscape company with multiple crews could justify it. We cut almost 200 yards a week and it's too much for me to do.

4. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

i use to use a flap disc but after a while the edge kept turning under toward the ground

5. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I've had this thread bookmarked for a couple of years. Plan to get around to building one soon.

Blade Sharpening Jig

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Thanks to you all for responding, still trying to decide

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

This is just one of those cases where you pay to play.

Because check it out, those grinding wheels on the Oregon that I have are $100 a piece and they don't last me but 5 years or so.
    And that's the 12" wheel, granted the smaller wheels are cheaper but they also wear out a lot faster.
    They are not maintenance free, the wheels wear unevenly so you'll need to dress them, a good wheel dressing tool costs $50 or so.
    As it wears out every so often it needs to be re-adjusted in terms of height so that the angle stays true.
    Smaller wheels require even more frequent dressing, adjustment, and replacement.
    I spent $300 to have a 1.5 hp motor with a 12" wheel so I'd have power and reliability.
    That $190 Bradley is only a 1/2hp motor with an 8" wheel.

You could always get a regular 4.5" grinding wheel, that's the wheel most angle grinders come with, the grit makes for a rougher edge but I used to sharpen my blades for ...
    I think one of those grinding wheels lasted me several years, grinder and all it cost me a $20.

I've always done this and for the same reason.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  8. K & K Mowing

K & K Mowing LawnSite Member

What's the maximum blade size that can be used on the Bradley grinders? Will blades from a 60" deck be too big?

Regards, Kevin:usflag:

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I have a DeWalt bench grinder that dies ok. I bought new blades this spring and I take them in to the dealer so they can sharpen them for me. I can go 2 weeks maybe 3 when they do it. With my grinder I'm sharpening them every week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My 60" super z blades sharpen fine, I can sharpen the last 5.5" on the blades, leaving only about 2" unsharpened, which is more than adequate in my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device