Blade Sharpener Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuckie, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

Hi guys, stopped home for lunch today and thought I would throw a question out that I know has been discussed quite a few times before. I know I could run a search, but would like the most up to date responses I can get. So when you all get home from work today, let me hear your answers and reasoning. Thanks for your help.

I am in dire need of a blade sharpener and have been procastinating for two months now. I have been sharpening with a 4.5 inch hand grinder for years with no problems at all. But I chose to expand the business a little this year, and I by no means can keep up. We now run a 52" toro w/b, two 60" exmark w/b, and two 60" exmark ztr one with mulch blades. Now we change our blades daily, if not twice a day so we may continue cutting at optimum speeds with the nicest cut. Needless to say, I am just sick of sharpening blades every other day or so. I stockpile a nice amount of blades to keep on hand, but that also means, when I am out of sharp blades, it makes for a nice evening or two wasted sharpening away. So any input would be helpful.

I want to make this purchase in the next day or two, and I do not care if it cost me $200 or $2000 , but I do want to know that it can sharpen both straight blades and mulching blades fast as hell. If it is fast enough, I know it will pay me back quickly in just my time.

I would like to thank you all in advance for your help.

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Firstly, You're a wise business man. Magna-matic 8000 will sharpen any blade you have in you're procession, straight, curvy etc. www.magna-matic.com . Magna Matic is the very best in blade maintanance, both the sharpener's and the balancer.

3. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I was leaning towards the magna-matic 8000 , and 6'7 I thank you for your response. I have gone with the 8000 because of the ability to sharpen the mulch blades in addition to straight. Here is my problem..... I received this awesome machine today and knocked out one set of mulch blades before it got too late.......... I love it......... Buttttttttt....... I only did three mulch blades and I ground almost an inch off this freaking wheel....... So I reach out to you fellow lawn men with blade sharpeners and ask you to please point me in the right direction to a much harder wheel then the Norton......I did purchase an extra one.....but at this rate i will be done after one good session of sharpening.... Sorry for my rambling.....but HELP...... thanks

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I dont know nothing about it. But I wouldnt pay $1000(there web site) for no sharpener. Ill stick with my lil angle grinder.

5. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

I have been using the little angle grinder for years....... it works excellent..... but this year I chose to double my business...... could have easily tripled it if I could find competent help....... I just got to the point where I could not keep up......and the mulch blades with the angle grinder blow......... years ago I use to sharpen my straight blades at a small mom and pop shop that is no longer in business..... but I do remember the speed and accuracy in which I use to sharpen them..... so now that I need the time for other things ..... I need to blow through 30 - 45 blades as fast as possible......... And I tell you what.... I only sharpened three mulch blades thus far.... and I was smiling the whole time.......... now I just need to find a harder wheel or something.........cause changing that wheel often is going to stink...... but I do know this... I will still be smiling :)

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 1hp 10" Fireball grinder, so I really can't comment, but I think Magna-Matic wen't with soft stones so they didn't need to add a wheel dresser like mine needs several times per session. Over the past 5+ years, I lost about 1/4" maybe from my wheel.

7. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hello All-
    Is there anything bad with using a belt sander? I've been sharpening blades with a cheap vertical belt sander for 5 years, and can fly through them. At least with straight blades. hold them at an angle and you can get the whole edge nice and sharp without moving the blade. Let me know what you think.

8. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

My biggest concern was sharpening the mulch blades because we have been utilizing that machine alot this year.
    TLS - what kind of wheel do you use on your fireball

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever it came with. Not sure the grit #.

FUSION Fireball1.JPG

10. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

I will look it up on there web site.... thank you for pointing me in the right direction.