Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmcfalls, Apr 29, 2001.

1. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

Where is the best place to get a blade sharpener for the best price? Thanks for your help.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Yo dude! Try to find someone who sells Neary or try a lawn suppy place. Lesco sells one and you might be able to order it from them. I also know a guy who uses a hand grinder from Sears and swears buy it. It is actually that guy who I get my parts from, he puts it in a vise edge facing up and just grinds it sharp. I think he said the hand grinder is like a hundred bucks.....

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Hey Eric, how about I send 3 sets (9 blades) to you, send enough $ for your time and trouble (and return shipping)
    and you show me how good a RBG can do on these things ....lol

5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i was kinda wondering that myself for 400$$$$$!!!!!!!!!! It seems i could just buy a grinder and fabricate an aluminum platform at the proper pitch for the blades and sharpen. Seems hard to justify that kind of money but i guess i havent been sharpening blades as often as you guys too.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

jrogers: The one Lescos sells is a POS compared to the RBG Rotary Blade Grinder. At my Lesco, they won't even use the one they sell, they have a RBG and the one Lesco sells is almost as much money.

You can buy a $50 hand grinder and put the blade in a vise and sharpen them, you can use a file, or you can use a Pro Grinder. If you have a bunch of blades, make it easy on yourself.

Guntruck: sure you can make something, but it won't have the power or the right speed to keep the blades cool and more than likely, it will turn the wrong way. If you guys plan to do this for any length of time, get a good grinder, you will not be sorry. You have to use one of these to appreciate the quality of it. It's not just a bench grinder with a big price tag. It is a dedicated blade grinder that you can adjust the angle of the blade by raising or lowering the motor. It will sharpen left or right hand blades even. A friend of mine and member of Lawnsite stopped by this weekend to try out mine. He uses a bench grinder like you are talking about. He wants a RBG now and will be getting one soon.

oneEXMARKfan: this grinder will sharpen them to a razor finish. I found an old set of blades I sharpened last spring that we decided to try. They were still so sharp that my helper cut through a leather glove and into his knuckle after just bumping a blade while changing them.

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I took a suggestion from Grateful1 and bought a benchtop belt sander (5" x 36"). It removes less material than a grinder unless you really lean into the blade and I have found it easy to control conpared to the angle grinder or benchtop. If I have a large knick I will still reach for the angle grinder, but for daily sharpening it's great. Does a great job, the blades don't get too hot to hold, and I can use it for projects other than blade sharpening. (plus it was only around $100 !)

jeffyr

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use a bench grinder with a fixture to hold my blade at 30 degs, but I found an old used RBG grinder at a garage sale that needs a little repair. I can't wait to try it once I get it fixed. Eric is a smart guy so if he says a dedicated grinder is the only way to go, then I believe him. He's been doing this alot longer than I have. I don't think he would steer anyone wrong. (I know, I know, quit sucking up.) LOL

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you get a dedicated blade sharpener, make sure that it is at least a 3/4 hp 8". I used to have a 1/2 hp Neary 1725 rpm. It was useless for all but pushmower blades. Plus it wouldn't take enough of the blade in to sharpen the whole edge. I sold it and bought a Brandelien Machine Fireball Jr. 3/4 hp 3450 rpm 8". WOW what a machine! It gets busy under there with double the rpm's and the extra HP is great for those thick blades. I can sharpen an unlimited amount of cutting edge, as the motor support is in the center. Make sure you get the diamond blade dresser, it makes the stone "sharper" and speeds things up.

Now if they would make blades that are true tip to tip, not frowning with the tips lower than the center.

10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I was just looking at the RBG-121 at Preco,it sells for 314.00 and includes the grit collecter,but dixie you say 1/2hp won't get the job done. And this unit takes up to 6-1/2" blades,seems like that would work on gators and regular blades to me. Any Opinions Marks Mowing Service