Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C. MOORE LAWNS, Mar 29, 2007.

1. C. MOORE LAWNS

C. MOORE LAWNS LawnSite Member

I am looking into getting a blade grinder/sharpener from my local Northern Tool. The only one they have in stock is the 1/2 HP Oregon. I am in need of this fast, but wanted to see what you guys thought first. I don't have the money for a magna matic or any expensive brand. The only question I have is will the 1/2 HP just take longer to sharpen than the 1 and 1.5 HP or will it also not sharpen as well?? Thanks a lot

2. Monster Zero

Monster Zero LawnSite Member

Let us know what you find out.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I just used our new oregon yesterday for the first time on the old blades that were way out of shape. It did perfectly fine and they cut great today. Your not supposed to use much pressure when you sharpen the blades because it will cause the blade to heat up which you dont want. In other words the 1/2 hp is just fine. If you want I may be able to take a video of me sharpening a blade for you if you want?

EDIT: This is the one we got but we got it from Russo power equipment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Lawnmowe...ryZ82248QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends on how many blades you go through each week. I run our Oregon 1.5 hp with a 12" wheel since I have to sharpen 35 or 40 blades per week, sometimes more. I got the big Oregon cause I don't want to make a career out of sharpening blades all season long.

5. C. MOORE LAWNS

Thanks for the super fast replies!! Yea that would be great if you could show me doing that. I'm just doing 7 blades a week, 3 on the exmark, 3 on the dane, and one on the toro. THANKS GUYS!

6. C. MOORE LAWNS

Hey Camaro, did you buy that from the ebay seller? If so, is he pretty trustworthy with what you bought? His seems to be cheaper than Northern Tool online cuz I found out it is not in stock in Knoxville. Thanks

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Russo is a top-notch company. Yes, you can buy with confidence - IMO. :usflag:

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought it from russo power equipment on ebay and he had it to me in 2 days brand new in the original box!

9. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have a 1/2hp oregon grinder. I like it alright. I have the ruby wheel on mine which helps. Plenty of power and with ruby wheel, won't burn the metal easy. You can stop it but will grind a big gouge in your blade. I tried it on an old blade, and was kind of hard to stop. I dont think you will go wrong with one. I also like the motor reverse feature on mine. May not be as good as the more expensive grinders, but will be good enough until I can get me a better one.

10. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor