blade sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burninbill, Oct 28, 2002.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

Looking for a faster way to sharpen those damn blades!!!!! Have any of you found the best way. We are using a hand grinder at the moment and do not care for it at all.

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Try a bench top grinder(2 wheels-half hp motor) Ive been sharping my blades for years like this and it seems to work for me . You can find them at most auto or hardware stores for under $60.00. Good luck
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I never thought I would say this butÂ… try the search feature. There have been a lot of discussions on blade sharpeners. It just depends on who much money you want to spend and what you want the end result to look like (sharp blades that is).

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, do a search. :( I use a hand grinder also, this will be the last season that I do it this way. I am getting a dedicated blade grinder for next year.:D :cool: :)
  5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Magnamatic and it is great. Took a little bit to get used to, but know it is quick to sharpen blades.
  6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the RBG Pro 218 model. I was using a bench grinder before and found it was very difficult to maintain a consistent bevel. With the bench grinder, my blades would get dull much faster too.
    RBG, Magna-Matic, and Brandleins are some manufacturers to check out.
  7. Magna matic all the way best on the market easy to use.

Take a look on their forum and their web site first class piece of machinery
  8. cfosceola

cfosceola LawnSite Member

I use my handy, danndy roto-zip with a dremel wheel on it. works awesome.
  9. I have the magna matic and wonder why I didn't buy one sooner. I sharpened 12 scag 18 inch blades Sunday in under 15 minutes. I used to dread (hate) to sharpen blades (30-45 minutes) now its so easy and quick.
  10. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I use 4 inch grinders. When I get through, they are razor sharp. Once you get it down, it takes about 30 sec per side of blade.