Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Mar 15, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I finally ordered the Mag-8000 sharpener, should be shipped soon.. Who out there has a Mag-8000 ??

Lou :cool:

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Side Grinders with the red flexie disc's you can get at True Value are way better than any grinding system on the market - they do not heat the metal - no blue spots, and they are so much faster than any grinder it is not even funny :p :p

3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Well flexie, I'm sure at least one of the other LawnSite sponsors will be thrilled to read your latest pronouncement of wisdom!
    Also, I'm not so sure that you're following the posting guidelines of using your own experience since you've failed to tell us which blade grinder you've used that doesn't work as well, supposedly, as your flex grinding wheel or is it a sandpaper disk, from the hardware store.

I'm not affiliated with any blade grinder manufacturer and the one I own is not the one sponsoring this site, but I can tell you for sure based on years of experience with both, that my RBG sharpens blades much faster, smoother, quieter and easier than any hand-held sidewinder grinder, no matter which wheel or sanding disc is used.

Also, my fifth grader knows very well that heat will be produced by friction no matter how it's generated, whether it's from a sidewinder grinder or a wheel grinder and I know that whether or not it's overheated depends on the operator. Maybe you should read a few of the older messages on this topic before you make such a broad and wrongheaded statement as you did on this one.
    Will M>

4. Flex-Deck

I stand corrected - there are a lot of ways to do anything, - do what works for you

5. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

I would not even mention the word 'grinder' with Magna-Matic 'sharpeners' in the same sentence. :) Magna-Matics balancer / sharpener combo is by far (IMO) the best high performance setup you can get.

They use a wheel that removes a lot of steel in a short amount of time with out burning the blade.

Ive seen this done... take a very dull mower blade, take that blade and start smashing it against a cement curb.... take that badly beaten dull blade and have it razor sharp with a correct angle/balance in around 60 seconds. NO burns.

"they do not heat the metal " Are you sure ?... I thought one of the laws of physics stated that every action has a opposite and equal reaction... so friction to metal from any 'sharpening' or 'grinding' method will cause heat. (or something like that) :dizzy:

"they are so much faster than any grinder it is not even funny"...
    I'm not sure about the other guys but some of the conditions I cut in were pretty rough and badly banged up blades were the result. How long do you think it would take one of those red flexi disc's to straighten that out? Waaay longer than a minute. I sure wish I knew about these sharpeners back when I was in business.

my .02

6. Flex-Deck

I again stand corrected - I sharpen often so do not have a lot of grinding, and I did see the system at the BBQ in St. Louis 2 years ago and it is a fine system

7. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

something like you mention might be good to have as a portable in the truck to use a quick edge fixer upper. prolly better than a file, for sure.

8. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking forward to use the sharpener, I have the Mag-1000 balancer and it's great, once I get it and get it down I'll let ya'll know how it is....

Lou :cool: