Blade sharpener??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pryker, May 23, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

I have a 8" RYobi bench grinder that I use to sharpen blades with. Is there some type of attachment to get the angle perfect? It would speen things up. I do not want to have to buy a dedicated blade sharpener.

Thanks

Phil

2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine said that he made up a sort of a jig. Basically he made slots for the blade to sit in so the angle he has to grind is flat and that makes the right angle he said.
    I do it by guestimation and usually somewhat in a hurry. I was cutting terribly on friday so i changed all of the blades and got to looking at them. I have become WAY off on my angle. I was probably at 60 or 70 degrees. oops. When it gets past 8 this morning ill be out there grinding away. Sorry i couldnt be of more help. Thats all i got.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I think the most important thing is balance. If you don't sharpen them just right, well all that's lost is a limited cut, but balance is important for component life. Just my 2 cents.

4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

you have to be kidding me, is the quality of cut you give your customers not a big deal? is that not the purpose of hiring a professional? balance is very important for your mower, but I seriously doubt the customer cares, I think their main concern is a quality cut not a limited one.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

that's not always true, there are the customers who have weed patches that just want it plowed down. but a dedicated blade grinder is the way to go and can be bought new for just over $300. figure at $5 a blade (getting it sharpened at a dealer), 2 to 3 blades per mower, changing them at least once a week, that's $25 a week in my case alone.

i try and change mine more often though (when i can catch 65hoss at his shop to use his grinder).

so if you do it more, say two times a week, your price doubles to $50 a week in sharpening. in about 7 weeks time you have saved your cost on sharpening and own a grinder. i'm going to try to get mine in a week or two.