blade sharpeners #2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by competitiveimageland, May 31, 2004.

1. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

what companies are out there for sharpeners so i know what one to reserch into
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

magna matic
    $580 is a lot i know
    if you are serious about this
    just buy it you won't find any thing
    any better
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I just received an RBG blade grinder, and used it for the first time, man it is amazing. As far as the blades were off from using an angle grinder, the rbg fixed the angle and put a razor sharp edge on them in a few minutes.
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Wait...I thought you weren't supposed to have it "razor" you take the edge down afterwards?
  5. LittleOranges

LittleOranges LawnSite Member

580.00 for a blade sharpener!? I work in a machine/welding shop. I've been toying with the idea of inventing a blade sharpener that I can sell for around 150.00. Now I'm convinced. I also have much experience sharpening scissors. Don't laugh....most of those scissors were top line hairdressing scissors and they cost over 250.00. The sharpener had a balanced swing arm and locking device. I'm going to toy around with it. I'll let ya's know when I have a prototype and pics.
  6. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

It so happens that I have a friend who is a fabricater and can make about anything. I was thinking about having him make a blade sharpener. But, most commonly available electric motors turn around 3650 rps, IIRC. Where do you find an electric motor of suitable size that turns at an appropriate rpm for sharpening blades? Don't worry, I am not going to try to market anything. :)
  7. LittleOranges

GRAINGER. Very large electric motor selection. I may even try a version with a pneumatic motor. 80 psi does wonders with these motors. We turn large gear pumps that pump wax over 100 ft. Anyway, "Grainger" is a great place to start for electric pumps. Or even McMaster-Carr. Both of these companys have on-line catolouges. My cousin started a candle manufacturing business. Two years later he has patents for various candle manufacturing equipment. He sold the candle factory and now we manufacture candle manufacturing equipment. VERY lucrative. He's been to Guatamala, Ireland, India, Africa, and all over the USA installing machinery in candle factories. I'm going to California next week. My point is that just because we have chosen to mow lawns does not meen we have to always mow lawns. A good quality blade sharpener at a price half of what's out there, could just put an end to PITA's and the sick sweet smell of grass on my workboots!
  8. LittleOranges

By the way, because we buy motors so often in such a large quantity, I'm not paying the listed price. If it were not for this, it would not be worth the attempt. I'm more than sure I can get the same motor in the Magna-matic for 1/2 the listed price. Mega-Matic probably puts out 1/2 to a 1/3 of it's sale price in manufacturing.
  9. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'll look up those sites.
  10. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

For you guys that do alot of sharpening, what is a good grinding wheel to use for an blade sharpener?

For you fabricators, how about a wet grinding system to ensure the hardness is not removed from the edge while grinding?