1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpeners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jun 29, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I need to get a good blade sharpener, any suggestions?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All depends what you mean by good, I found a $10 Harbor Freight Tools hand held 4.5" grinder to work right nice, it lasts a long time and it does the job well thou the labor itself is a bit more manual and time consuming.
    I'd say with one of these, 30-45 seconds maybe a minute or two per blade, or so.
    Very cheap, rather effective, a new grinding wheel is also not very expensive and they last about a year for me.
    The drawback is the angle and quality of the edge the operator is responsible for this, the advantage is price and a hand held grinder has other uses as well.

Then there's the dedicated blade grinder, very expensive...
    But there are advantages, such as the angle is pre-set, once that wheel is in the correct position one can sharpen blade after blade and they all come out just about right, one can thus dedicate more care to prevent 'burning' the steel and I do believe the blades come out a little better time after time.
    I'd say with one of these, 15-20 maybe 30 seconds per blade, or so.
    So about half the time, it's the expense that held me back, I've seen them sell for anywhere from as little as 3-400 to well over a thousand dollars and then the grinding wheel costs about $100'ish when it comes time to replace that...
    The advantage here is the ease and speed of operation plus the quality of the results, the drawback is price and the limited use of the tool as in I have never found any other use for it (nor am I so sure I would want to).

Here's one of the lower priced ones:
    But I'm not so sure if that 1/2 hp motor has enough behind it to where it won't bog down,
    the one I have is the big nasty 1.5hp and it almost never bogs...

Good luck
  3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

yes, thats what I meant, the designated sharpeners. I thought they were like a couple hundred though...damn. I still want one though.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Angle grinder for me too. I use a better one, and use layered sanding disks, but that's just personal preferance.

I have looked at the dedicated blade grinders, and just can't see spending that much money on a one trick pony. My walker dealker sells them, and when asked he will tell you they aren't for everyone... THey excell at doing the same blade, over and over, say if you have 10- 60" exmarks in the field, you set up the machine for that blade type and go to town. But if you have several brands of machines, all different sizes and blade types, you spend as much time setting up the wheel angle each time as you would if you just did them by hand with the angle grinder. He siad they have one in their shop, of course, and most of the guys still use an angle grinder for the blades. If you can use the angle grinder, and are good at it, it's very fast and efficient.
  5. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

I bought one on eBay with free shipping. Its an oregon brand, works pretty well, paid $300 for it so it probably hasnt paid for itself, but i have it and its easier than an angle grinder or anything else. I hate sharpening blades though, just because its time consuming for me and I'm impatient so I end up trying to grind to much off and then its not perfect, but I balance it and then move onto the next blade.
  6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thats what i dont want to happen. i can see throwing a blade in the future with that setup. I havent used a grinder so i think im gonna have to get the blade grinder... that sucks that you have to set it each time for different blades though!
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why, I don't :p
    Thou it does take a little time initially to 'set' the blade to the correct angle of the wheel if you catch my drift.
    That wouldn't work for a dealer, but then I only do my own.

I used an angle grinder for many years but much like someone else I got to where I hate sharpening the dang things some days, but until that day I kept using that grinder, sure served me well for a good many years.

I did shop around considerably, I found mine for $300 used but it looked nice and works great.
    And it's an RBG like the one at Northern but it's the 1.5hp 12" one :p
    Oh yeah RBG got bought out by Oregon.

Ebay has good deals as well, yes.
    I would, if you want a good deal, start shopping and be patient.
  8. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

hey guys ca'mon what happened to the good ol file...thats how i do it
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Angle grinder with the flap disk.
  10. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

I've always used my bench grinder. Never really thought about the angle grinder to tell you the truth.