1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpeners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We kick grass, Feb 11, 2002.

1. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

Hey this site is great thanks for everyones input on our other questions now posted we appreciate it. We have been looking into blade sharpeners for our mowers. The cheapest one we have found is the Lesco brand bench mount anyone tried this model? One of our supplies made the remark to us well I think guys are just using a file or a normal bench grinder well for us that doesn't give us the job we are looking for. Then they said for what a blade costs who cares about the angle of the blade and how much metal you take off. I said well we do!!! I read an article about a company named Luke Brothers out of Tampa anyone know them? Anyway these guys go through 150 sharp blades a day now I bet these guys care about how much metal is coming off and at what angle. What are your thoughts and ideas on this subject?
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

amount of metal taken off matters a lot, just as angle does. i believe there are some adds or some for sale in the lawnsite store???? not sure though. also do a search for "blade Sharpeners" and u will get tons of advice along with pros and cons on each brand, also all the different brands and lawnsite.com users opinions. i would give my thoughts on a brand but i dont have one :(
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the Lesco RBG and its not bad, but not the best. I bought it used for $240. When you raise the grinder, it raises at an angle. So if you are sharpening right and left blades, you will have to adjust the wheel each time. If you are just sharpening right handed blades, it does the trick. Do a search and you will find many different opinions. Good luck!

4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

A quick 20 second search showed a thread with 11 replies from yesterday
    blade sharpeners

I am a person that crams the search feature!~NaTe

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Nate, please now.

Quit posting that picture of that darn dog. Do you realize that you are just as much guilty for doing what you keep telling everyone else? You keep posting the same thing over and over also. ;)
  6. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

RBG blade grinders are the way to go. Most likely your mower shop carries them or can get them. If not AM Lenord sell them in thier catalog. probably cheaper than lesco if its a RBG they put thier name on it and charge a few bucks more.
  7. We kick grass

Thanks for the back up Jodi. That picture is kind of funny I laughed but I haven't seen it before. Hey how long has this site been on here ? I take it by the number of hits it has posted a while. You cannot tell me that just about every question on the planet hasn't shown up here before. I mean we are not trying to find a cure for cancer we mow grass people and we are darn proud of it right!!! So if a poor guy asks the same question a few times so what!!! If you are on here you obviously don't have much else to do anyway. The search engine is handy though I learned that today if I learned anything. What a crowd!!!!! You guys are great!!!!!Thanks
  8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

<B>HEY Jodi!!</B>

9. We kick grass

I'm with you plowkid kill the kitty!!!! Do it !!!!!!! Nice gun:):angry:
  10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

of course a few times is ok heck ive done that, but some topics have just been done and done and done just like the energizer bunny, seems like a million times